Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Birthdays and Bookstores

Jordan, my youngest child, turned 35 today--fortunately, she's not yet at the point of being sensitive about her age, but I can hardly believe it. Sometimes I think we should celebrate her birthday in April, since she was 30 days old when we brought her home, a placid, happy baby. That night, friends gathered to see the new baby, and she slept through it all in the midst of the crowd. That sort of set the tone for her life--well, in a way.
Today we celebrated with what has been a tradition--the two of us going to lunch. We have gone for years to our "family" restaurant, Cafe Aspen, which has now closed. But David, the owner and our good friend, is now at Mira Vista Country Club and invited us to come out there for lunch, which we did. It's a lovely place, and we enjoyed lingering over lunch and a glass of wine, plus a good visit with David. I was a little intimidated--new spaces sometimes do that to me, and I felt a bit like I was barging in where I didn't belong, so I held close to Jordan while we walked across the parking lot.
After lunch we went to Bed, Bath and Beyond to look for the makeup mirror she wanted but didn't see what she wants, let alone at a reasonable price. I found one I thought might do but Jord thought $40 was too much and she would "research" online. It was amazing how much better I walked at Bed, Bath & Beyond--didn't need Jordan, didn't need my stick, etc.
It was a satisfying outing and a good visit with my baby-child. As the youngest, she has always been petted and spoiled and has sometimes earned her nickname of "the Princess." We'll have family birthday Sunday with the tacos she always wants but a a twist on them--I am tired to death of hamburger meat seasoned with that packet taco seasoning. I'm going to experiment.
A piece in the mail yesterday told me that a local independent bookstore, founded and now owned by friends of mine, is closing. I'm not surprised in this day and age and wonder how it held on so long--I suspect by school book sales. Connections has always been about more than selling books--it was about bringing people together, introducing them to new ideas, people, groups, activities, whatever. For a while I led a book group that met there. The store was new age when that was new, but as Peggy said to me today, "I'ts time. Times are changing." Since she never bought a computer, I guess she's right. Sad, though, to see another indie go under.The book trade is changing so fast, as is the business of publishing. Makes me glad I retired.

No comments: