Sunday, March 07, 2010

A contented cat

This is a contented cat, sleeping happily on my desk, where he prefers to spend most of his time. Wywy (full name Wynona Judley) is 18, an old man now. When he was a kitten, Jamie found him on a back rural road in Minnesota and named him Wynona Judley. Only months later, we learned he is a he not a she, so now we have pronoun confusion--he, she, it. It doesn't bother Wywy a lot, but it bothers us--Jordan hates it when I say he, and half the time I say she. We are pretty sure he's part Maine Coon and is surely the most affectionate, attention-needing cat I've ever known.
Today is my brother's birthday. I won't give away his age, but he's six-and-a-half years older than me, so you can figure it out if you want to. I called early this morning with birthday greetings, only to find out I owe him a public apology for last night's blog. He never thought I had a brain tumor--that was my interpretation of what he was saying (give me a little medical knowledge, from having been around doctors all my life, and I am dangerous). What John didn't realize was that I don't have an awkward gait when I'm not suffering from my fear of open space--I walk as well as anyone else (and probably more smoothly than he does, since he has that sort of bowleg-old-cowboy gait). He thought I had some neurological deficit, but I assured him that isn't true. When I'm confident, walking next to someone, I can walk with the best of them. Anyway, he's a wonderful brother--I looked long and hard at brother b'day cards but they were all so sappy I couldn't buy one. And as I told him, nothing jumped out at me and said, "John would like this for his birthday." So he may get a present in May or July. Who knows? But I am delighted to see him, at an age he never thought he'd live to see, happier than he's ever been in his life.
And speaking of age, I visited my friend Charles last night. Since he's been on the nursing care floor of the retirement home, he's gained almost twenty pounds and is one happy, bright camper. Friends from his Unitarian church were there, and we had a really fun time visiting. Charles is a delight and an inspiration.
Lovely wet day with slow, drizzly rain that really did a lot for the plants that Greg put in yesterday. I spent the morning cooking (what else on Sunday?), but it really wasn't much. I put together a tamale pie casserole that I'd made the sauce for last night--you make it with polenta instead of masa. And I made a pot of Reva's good beans (Reva was Charles' wife) and took both to neighbors Margaret and Dennis Johnson for a going-away party for Sue and Alex and Hunter. The Johnsons are wonderfully hospitable in a beautiful house, and it was a really pleasant evening.
But I'd spent the rest of the day doing stuff--running and emptying the dishwasher, riding my stationary bike, showering, checking emails, and, of course, reading. Then lulled by the rain I had a good nap and was up and ready to go to the 4 p.m. party. Jay and Dennis came to get my casserole and pot of beans (the latter was really heavy), and Susan walked across the street with me. I managed to send the rest of my casserole home with Christian (Jordan stayed home sick and Jacob arrived wearing her boots and a cowboy hat--wish I'd gotten a picture of that!). I also sent some beans with him but brought quite a bit back with me.  So I've got leftover to start the week, but they are non-fattening. I don't want to talk about all the cheese in the tamale pie, but it sure was good.

No comments: