Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Do you, Did you read to your children?

I'm feeling  yet another load of guilt about my parenting skills, and it's all Jamie's fault (my third child and second son). He told me yesterday that he and Maddie, his oldest daughter, almost eleven (can that be?), were going to dinner to discuss a book they'd both read and compare their reactions to it. They take turns choosing the books and apparently go to dinner once a week. Am I impressed or what? I think that is such wonderful parenting! Maddie is a voracious reader--I've seen her bury her nose in a book at a party. That delights me, but I think their reading group of two is a wonderful idea--for fostering her intellectual growth (about which I'm not worried at all) and for strengthening the already-strong bond between parent and child. I'm so impressed I want to shout to the world that I raised two sons, both of whom turned out to be terrific fathers (okay, my girls are also terrific mothers, but that's another story).
But the guilt: I don't think I read to my children. I think what I did was work at my computer, say "Go on,now, I'm busy" and leave them to find books on their own. Jamie did it early and with intensity, reading fantasy and Dungeons and Dragons kind of things in his bed with a flashlight. Now grown, all of them except Jordan are avid readers. Megan's husband is a bibliophile--all he ever wants for a gift is a book. Colin's wife, Lisa, was not a reader, but he has converted her, and now we discuss the books we read. Jamie's wife,Mel, is a nonfiction reader but reads a lot--and with some interesting reactions.  But I don't think I did anything to foster the love of reading in my children except to raise them in a household where they knew books were important--their mother wrote books, published books, and read them.
Jordan's son, Jacob, wants to be read to every night--something Jordan has insisted on (does she feel the lack from her own childhood?). But lately he chooses my book and his, so I once figured if he was reading his book I didn't have to strain my voice reading mine aloud. Wrong! He insists I read aloud, and I suspect he finds the sound of a voice reading to him comforting. He has his favorite books--good heavens, some of them are long! But he's solidly "into" books, and I credit Jordan with that. He always arrives with five or six in his suitcase and it's an evening ritual to choose the two (my limist) he wants. Jacob is great at postponing bedtime, and I have to be firm.
Funny how easy it is to look back at all the things you would do differently if you were parenting again today--and all the things you do differently with grandchildren. Friends often compliment me on what a great job I did of raising four childen as a single parent--and  I will say without blushing that they are all wonderful adults, each accomplishing much more than I could have hoped and each a person who makes me proud of their daily lives, their parenting, their integrity. But I often think they grew that way in spite of my blunders or, the best I can hope for, because of the example I set. It certainly wasn't because I read to them--and now I regret that.

No comments: