Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Grandmother on duty

Jordan called this morning at 7:14, woke me up, then said, "Call me when you wake up. Jacob's sick, and I need you to come over here for a couple of hours." Half an hour later I called back and said, "I'll watch him all morning if you'll bring him here." Ended up I had Jacob all day, except for the hour his dad took him to the doctor. He was pretty cheerful for a kid with a temperature and a cold, and after he came back from the doctor he ate a good lunch. I put him down for a nap and had to go back much later to issue a strong warning: no more playing with his toys. So he slept for an hour and a half, and I slept for a little less, but not a peaceful sleep. I kept hearing him cough and slept with one ear open. When he woke up he complained he didn't feel well, kept pointing to his throat, so I guess he had a sore throat. Then we had the scene of trying to get him the medicine Jordan brought, and all the while Elizabeth was patiently waiting because she and I were going to work on a joint project. Then both Colin and Lisa called, and I didn't have time to chat with either of them.
Jordan left with Jacob, Elizabeth and I poured ourselves some wine, and had a good meeting.
It was a wet, raw day, and I didn't mind staying in at all--though I canceled a lunch appointment. Jacob was good company most of the day and much of the morning, he watched a DVD while I worked at my desk--so we were companionable yet in separate rooms.
But I will confess at the end of the day I'm tired. All that step and fetch it business--I want water, I want milk, I need to peepee, no I don't want to peepee, no I don't want to change my clothes (his pants were not wet but damp). Each time he said, "I want," I said, "May I please,"' and he repeated it. I've just forgotten how much work three-year-olds are.
Tomorrow I have a meeting at ten and cannot keep him, plus Jordan and I were going to lunch to celebrate her St. Patrick's Day b'day, but who knows? I may take her Doris casserole for a stay-at-home lunch. Maybe I can manage a little wine too.
Anyway it was a good day, nice to be needed as a grandmother and to be able to help. Even though Jacob did say, "You're a bad girl, Juju!"

No comments: