Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A lovely interesting evening

I simply cannot resist posting this photo of Jacob in the outfit he wore to the neighborhood dinner last weekend. Those are his mother's cowboy boots (a tad or more too big for him) that she had worn to a "Cowboy Chic" party the night before. Not sure where the hat came from, but the shirt is the tops from his Halloween pajamas. The child is addicted to wearing pajamas everywhere!
Tonight I went to the second annual Bookish Frogs dinner. Such a delight! I saw many people that I was really glad to see and got lots of hugs and kisses. It was a warm, wonderful evening, with everyone in good spirits. Susan Petty (TCU Press editor) had put it together and did an outstanding job, including a great menu. The speaker was Bob Ray Sanders, talking about his book, Calvin Littlejohn: Portrait of a Community in Black and White. Littlejohn was the first--and for many years the only--photographer to chronicle the black community in Fort Worth. Bob Ray knows that community--or communities, for there was no one area--inside and out and did a tremendous job of research, writing cutlines, and pulling the book together. Plus he's a great natural speaker, so the evening was memorable. The book itself is a wonderful gift to the Fort Worth community, a precious record of a part of its history not often recorded. It was one of those nights that made me proud to be part of TCU Press, very proud.
I've been reading Phyllis Theroux's The Journal Keeper, a book for which she edited the journals she'd been keeping for several years. I dip my toe into it now and than, because it's not an upbeat book, but it's strikingly honest about the things that bother her--depression, worry about finances, uncertainty about writing--things that bother a lot of us. I found one quote that struck home to me: "God, remove my fear and direct my attention toward what you would have me be."
Chalres is for some uncharacteristic reason very interested in the problems and case of Tiger Woods, so I also found a quote that applied there though I think Theroux was quoting someone else: "Fame in this country is a religion that demands human sacrifice." I think it's true, and in spite of the fact that Tiger behaved abominably, I'm pulling for him to get his life--and his family life--back in order.

No comments: