Thursday, October 15, 2009

Trivia

--After reading my post last night, my good friend/yoga instructor Elizabeth wrote that she's recently run across a British magazine called Idler. It proposes to return "dignity to the art of loafing, to make idling into something to aspire towards rather than reject." Elizabeth thinks maybe I should subsribe.

--The Fort Worth Presbyterian Night Shelter frequently posts news, pleas for help, all kinds of things on Facebook, including recipes from their chef. Today's choice was Brandy-Mustard Pot Roast, and believe me it sounds tremendous. I printed it out and intend to try it.

--Do you know how to detect a stroke in a person? Cindy Bonner sent me this important e-mail: The clues are S-T-R. Even if someone merely stumbles and says they're fine, ask them to smile, talk--construct a simple sentence, and raise both arms. I knew about STR but the reminder was good. What I didn't know was a fourth suggestion: ask the person to stuck out the tongue. If it goes sideways, to either side, it means a stroke. These hints can save lots of lives. If caught immediately, the effects of stroke can usually be totally reversed.

--Heard on the radio or TV the other day that folks born after 1950 don't have immunity to the swine flu. Not sure if that means we oldsters do have it and just are more likely to have it. No indication why. I'm wondering if I'll be low on the totem pole for the shot, even though I do keep a pre-schooler about twice a week. Dr.'s appt. next week so I guess I'll find out.

--Sashimi for dinner tonight. Betty and I went to Tokyo Palace, suddenly my favorite place. I had sashimi on a green salad with roasted beets and a light vinaigrette. So wonderful, though I asked for wasabi for the sashimi. I'm sure I'd eventually tire of it if I ate it every night, but right now I do love it.

No comments: