Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Chicken spread and other matters

Sunday night Jordan, Christian, Jacob and I had roast chicken for dinner. I made a sauce of the drippings, most of a can of chicken broth, some white wine, and the rest of the thyme/garlic/olive oil I'd rubbed on the chicken. For all the time I spent stripping fresh thyme off tiny sprigs, I didn't think the flavor came through enough to justify the work, but the chicken was good. Moist and tender. Last night I gave it to Jacob for dinner, and he spit it out with the explanation, "It's yucky, Juju." Now I give him that it was cold and sometimes cold, leftover roast chicken is a bit greasy. This morning at breakfast he said, "Jacob ate his dinner last night" (while scarfing down waffles) and I said, "All but the chicken." His reply? "It was yucky." So today I took that yucky chicken, separated out all the fat, skin, bones, etc. and ground up the rest in the food processor. Added salt, pepper, juice of a lemon, and just a bit of that wine sauce--didn't want to get it too soupy. The result was a delicious chicken spread that I served to an author and a mutual friend tonight, with low-fat Wheat Thins.I love it when I can actually improvise and it works--too often, it doesn't. After my guests left, I had leftover green beans and another scoop of the chicken.
Otherwise it was a quiet day. Socorro came and cleaned and I tried to stay out of her way, while making my chicken thing, doing my yoga, and finally working at my desk, which I did all morning--well, really, but the time I got everything else done, there wasn't a lot left to the morning. Jordan and Christian arrived for their offspring about 8:45 and I greeted them with, "He's dressed, and I'm ready for a nap." Jacob of course took extra time this morning, but I find my stay-at-home mornings full--free writing, exercise, the newspaper, e-mail, etc. It's often late before I'm "ready for the day."
My cold is still bothering me, mostly as a cough when I go to bed. Surely this too will pass.

No comments: