Thursday, October 29, 2009

Nothing much

I took an afternoon nap today, my usual habit--but today I lay down about 3:45 and woke with a start at 5:20, thinking I'd slept the afternoon away. Fed the dog and cleaned up his yard in a hurry, so I could watch the 5:30 news while I rode my stationary bicycle. But the most delicious, slightly sleepy, very content feeling has lingered all evening. Drifted through one of my favorite suppers--tuna salad, hearts of palm, grape tomatoes, and a bit of leftover pea salad. Good thing, because I had a huge helping of lasagna for lunch--told myself I would only eat half, but of course I didn't. Sandy, from our office, sat next to me and had a tiny helping. "I asked for half," she said. I told her I had meant to ask for half, because I only intended to eat half. She said, "I would have eaten it all." Well, I proved how sound her philosophy was. We were at a program to hear Susan Wittig Albert and Susan Tweit talk about their memoirs--an interesting discussion of the process of writing memoir, distancing yourself from what your writing about and yet realizing you're very close. Susan Tweit said it's hard because you go back in time knowing what you didn't know at the time. Good and thought-provoking program. I meant to buy a book out of courtesy--I know Susan Albert casually--but didn't have enough money with me. So much for good intentions.
Now I'm reading a manuscript submitted to the press and trying to figure out how I will tell the author it just doesn't resonate with me and I don't think it will work for the press.
We were under flash flood warnings today, expecting torrential rains and possible storms, so everywhere I went I took an umbrella, watched for storm-laden skies, etc.--nothing happened except light sprinkles, and tonight the warnings have been lifted, although it is supposed to rain. A beautiful weekend is forecast for the Texas Book Festival. I will be glad to see a lot of friends, old and new.

No comments: