Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Art of Puttering

Several years ago I wrote an article entitled, "Learning to Putz." The magaine that published it, Texas Co-op, changed the title to "Learning to Putter" because the word putz, while it does mean putter in Yiddish, also has negative sexual connotations. At the time I wrote about how I was trying to learn to putz/putter. Today I discovered I still haven't learned it. Even in retirement, I wake up with a list in my mind of things that need to be done that day and then I hurry to get them done. Granted, one reason I hurry is so I can do the things I want, like go to lunch with a friend, take a nap, read a book. But today I got up at 7:30 or shortly thereafter--by the time I'd done my free writing, had breakfast, read emails and the paper, and done my yoga, it was 9:30. Yoga was where I first noticed my hurry. I often look at the clock when I begin, so I can get some idea of how long I'm working out--sometimes I think the meditation part consumes a large portionof the time, greater than the workout. This morning I was surprised at how fast I was moving through the exercises--and I could hear Elizabeth's voice saying, "Slow down." The phone rang just as I started the meditation/relaxation part, and when I went to answer it I glanced at the clock--22 minutes for what should take 30-40 minutes. Rushing through the day, when I didn't really have that much to do. I decided I'd talk to the Lord later and started laying out things for happy hour guests tonight and making Southwestern Tuna Salad--a wonderful recipe that mixes tuna, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, lime peel and juice. The phone rang in the middle of that--someone who really wanted to talk, and I had to beg off. Got it all done, shampooed my hair, put on make-up and was dressed by eleven (my gosh, how did I ever get to work at 8 a.m.?)
My lunch date came by early, but I was ready. We went to Ellerbe's, a place I really like, and I ordered the Green Goddess salad (they spelled it Godess and we pointed out the error of their ways). All of a sudden I realized I was racing through that salad because it was so good. I just gobbled it down like I hadn't eaten in forever.
Tonight three friends came for wine, cheese and the tuna. We had a delightful visit--it finally turned out to be porch weather, with the sun shining, though it is a bit humid. I tried not to rush through the appetizers, but darn! that tuna really is good. My guests left after almost two hours, and I fixed myself dinner--the rest of the tuna, a bit of leftover potatoes, a bit of leftover spinach--and realized because it all tasted so good, I was once again gobbling my food.
Several years ago I went to a banquet--I can't remember the occasion--but my ex-husband's former partner and his wife took me. I was seated at a different table, but Russ walked by, looked at me, and said, "The trouble with you is that you ate with Joel Alter too long." I realized I had cleaned my plate when the other folks at the table were about halfway through.
Okay, resolution: I am going to move more slowly. Trouble is I already have a list for tomorrow--vet for animal food, grocery, office for mail and to do a bit of work, then work at home, nap, exercise, and dinner at 6 p.m. with Betty. Then pack to spend the next night with friends in Granbury. It's already weighing on my mind how I can fit it all in. The answer of course is that I need to shorten the nap or worktime or one of my electives and not worry about it--I always end up with time left over. I really am going to work on slowing down. Trust me.
I may have given this recipe before on this blog, but here's the Southwestern tuna salad (it's in Cooking My Way through Life with Kids and Books):

Southwestern tuna
I use this as a dip, served either with crackers or tortilla chips (the good strong kind), but I long ago lost the recipe, so I kind of recreate it each time.
7½-oz. can albacore tuna
Juice of 1 lime (a good juicy one)
1 tsp. grated lime peel
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
¼ c. chopped red onion
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of chili powder
Mayonnaise to bind - start with just a bit so you don't get it soupy
1/2 can chopped chilies (Use your own judgment about canned chilies or a chopped jalapeƱo—I like the canned.)

No comments: