Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Rainy day, dentist, car repair--not my best day

The gloomy, rainy weather continues. I hear all the lakes and reservoirs except one are full, so as far as I'm concerned it can stop for a while now. By this weekend, it is to be 70 and sunny, which will be welcome. Today was made even gloomier because I had to go to the dentist, something that really does make me anxiious and caused me to wake at 4:30 this morning. Three cavities, small, but the drill is the drill. Then I took my car in once again to be repaired--for the last time I hoped. The VW driver brought me home, and the day was mine! I worked, napped, read emails--good indoor rainy day staff.

This morning I had breakfast at the Old Neighborhood Grill with the Book Ladies--this was once an active group with some ten or twelve ladies at breakfast, all of whom had careers dealing with books, from authors and booksellers to librarians. This morning there were only four of us. Our numbers have dwindled due to age--some have moved to assisted living and are unable to drive, others have moved away, some have decided 8:00 a.m. is too early, and we've lost a few over the years to death. Sometimes we visit about books, but the talk is just as likely to veer toward grandchildren, cooking, and, oh yes, politics. We're a bunch of liberals, and one bookseller actually stopped coming because she's a conservative and our talk made her uncomfortable. We promised to keep our mouths shut--a difficult promise--but she never joined us again. This morning it was a pleasant way to start the day. I always order a simple breakfast--one egg over easy and whole wheat toast, of which I ate only one piece. But I had butter and marmalade with my toast, and my goodness those Weight Watchers points add up quickly. I really wanted pepper pot soup for lunch--good on a cold, rainy day--but instead I made a tuna salad out of chunks of tuna, tomatoes, baby carrots, watercress, a slice of red onion, and whisked together a vinaigrette rather than a mayonnaise dressing. For all my efforts, I went 2.5 points over my daily limit today, but I feel it was all healthy--except maybe for the mayo on my slice of chicken loaf tonight, but it was low-fat mayo!

Editing this friend's manuscript takes me back in time--to Iowa, where he grew up and I went to college for two years; to Kirksville, Missouri, where he and my ex- were in osteopathic school together; and to earlier times in Fort Worth when they first moved here. I've had another deja vu experience through Sisters in Crime recently--one writer mentioned that she had grown up in the Hyde Park neighborhood in Chicago, so I emailed her to say we had that in common. Turns out she even went to the same school I did--Kenwood Grade School. When you "graduated" from eighth grade, the class processed to "Pomp and Circumstance," to which the school had put new words: "Goodby to you, Kenwood/We will remember your name/For you've led us onward/Toward the halls of fame." Well, I may have gotten a few words wrong, but that's close. Anyway, it ruined the song for me, because now every time I hear "Pomp and Circumstance," all these years later, those words go through my mind.

More storms tomorrow!

No comments: