Friday, December 13, 2013

Selfies, weather and a great dinner

 
The ice is gone. I can walk across my porch or down my front steps without peril to life and limb. Of course it's sloppy and wet, and leaves are everywhere because the couldn't be blown and gathered as was the plan for early this week. Today brought bone-chilling rain, and I was colder than I had been when it was 16 degrees. Maybe that's what I cooked myself a good dinner tonight.
Don't get me wrong--I'm not one of those who eats cold cereal and calls it dinner. But I do sometimes settle for salad or a sandwich. Tonight I cooked a small marinated pork loin roast--lemon and garlic. I'll probably be eating it every which way until I tire of it and give it to the Burtons but it sure was good tonight. With eat, I had a medium red potato and leftover broccoli, both I confess heavily laden with butter. It was all so good, and I ate every bite.
Long before President Obama's so-called gaff with Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt and a phone camera, I'd heard the term selfie but not understood it. When the Oxford Dictionary announced they were adding it, I looked it up online and found what all of you probably all know already: a picture of yourself taken with your cell phone.
After the headline-making incident at Nelson Mandela's memorial service, I decided I'd try it. Besides, I have a neat new haircut to show off. The results were not stunning. I probably took and erased ten shots, and I share this one only in the secure knowledge that you are all my friends and won't judge. But below is the best of the crop. To my mind I look like an eighty-six-year-old woman who  has been beaten about the face. Can I blame that on the lighting in my kitchen? It is a neat haircut, don't you agree? In rebuttal I offer the picture above, which many of you have seen.

 
 
 
 


No comments: