Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Sluggish Day and a couple of good mysteries

I don't know if it's the rainy day (blessed rain brought not only moisture but much cooler temperatures and our record-setting heat wave is over) or the fact that I didn't go anywhere, didn't even put make-up on or maybe a combination, but I have been sluggish. Where I intended to write on my non-fiction book this morning, I piddled, doing odds and ends. In retrospect, I did good things--ordered a new console for my exercise bike, made an appointment to have my brake light fixed--two kind souls have told me they were behind me and it's out, not the kind of thing you can test alone. I contacted the president of O. B. Macaroni (included in my book) and will go pick up a privately printed history of the company tomorrow, tried to call someone at Best Maid Pickles and left a message, and explored the website for Mrs. Renfro's salsas, etc. But it was also a good day for napping and reading, and I did both. Scooby had to come in very early  because of thunder (scares him) and he's outside now, but I know would love to be back in his bed.
I finished a good mystery yesterday--A Killer Plot, which is I think the first novel by Ellery Adams. Distinctive protagonist--a girl born on the coast of North Carolina and raised in a lighthouse by her widowed father until he disappears at sea; then she is sent away to boarding schools and so forth, and finally returns as a sophisticated, wealthy woman. She joins a writers' group and the fun begins. But the book wouldn't be what it is without her dog, Haviland, a standard poodle that she sometimes calls "Captain" and takes everywhere with her. Made me wish Scooby had more training, but this dog is probably too good to be real--trained to track, attack, etc., and yet always a perfect gentleman. Olivia  even takes him into restaurants, including the upscale one she owns, and Haviland is generally accepted by the small community. He really adds spice to the book, as does Olivia who is highly independent and does not suffer fools easily.
Now I'm reading Chapter and Hearse (could NOT make the italics work) by Lorna Bartlett and enjoying it a great deal--just issued, it made the NYT best-sellers list and some others. I've read other books in Barlett's Booktown Series, set in a town revitalized by several bookstores moving to town and attracting busloads of tourists--and, of course, the predictable murders. Much as I'm enjoying it, one thing bothers me: at one point she refers to an elderly lady as old and stooped, probably in her seventies or eighties. Hey, at 72, I resent that! But don't let it keep you from Lorna's books.
Back to work. I'm determined to write my daily thousand words tonight. I seem to have great momentum on Tuesday through Thursday, lose it on the weekend. Have to write when I can.

No comments: