Friday, September 25, 2009

Star for a Day and a lesson in patience

Today, I taped a show for City Cable TV on Cooking My Way Through Life with Kids and Books. My friend, Shari Barnes, from TCU Human Resources, did the interview, and we had a good time. I had fun at the grocery store this morning, when I asked for fresh bananas--the produce guy had a box right there that were nicely yellow. The ones on the table were mottled brown. He offered to go to the back and get me some green ones, but I said no--and this is what tickles me, playing the grande dame--"I need them for a TV show this afternoon. Those yellow ones will be perfect." Anyway, as part of the show we made a thrown-together fruit salad that is quick, easy and good--1 can pie filling (choose your flavor--I like apricot, but these days all I can find is apple), one 8 oz. pkg. frozen strawberries (I had a big of mixed berries in the freezer and used that but I let it thaw for a day before I cut the strawberries into smaller pieces--cutting frozen strawberries really hurts your hands), 1 8 oz. can pineapple chunks drained, 1/4 cup sugar (could be less). You can make it to that point ahead and refrigerate but just before you serve, add two or three chunked bananas. Makes enough to serve 8-10. I thought Jacob would love it, but he wouldn't touch it and barely ate the sloppy Joe I gave him for his main dishes. Now, lollipop--that was a different matter.
I had a lesson in patience tonight. Jacob can sit on the potty and chat merrily for 20 minutes, assuring you he's not through with his business. At one point I asked him if I could take a nap and he said yes, to close my eyes. Then when he finally decided he was through, it took another twenty minutes to get his underpants on--he would brook no help. He turned them one way and said, "This way?" I'd say, "No, turn them the other way." Then he'd put both legs into one side, and we'd have to start over, with him saying, "This way?" The rewards come when he asks me to "cuddle me" while he's watching TV and then before he goes to sleep. We read three books, cuddled, and it was well after 9:30 before I turned out the light and got my goodnight kiss. My bet? He's still awake at 10. He asked if I was going night-night and I said no, I had work to do. Then he brightened and said, "In the morning, when I wake up, my mommy and daddy will come." I assured him that was true.

No comments: