Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New routine

This morning, I started what I hope will be a new routine--slept until 7:30, and then, after feeding the cat but before brushing my teeth or anything else, I sat at my desk and "free wrote" for 20 minutes. My artist neighbor, Susan, does that every morning for 30 minutes and says it frees up her creativity. Since I'm sort of blocked, I thought it would be a good thing--surprising insights. I wondered a bit how it differs from a blog, but this journal is very private whereas the blog is what I share with the world. I suppose my 20 minutes will lengthen into 30 as I get used to it--that's surely what happened with yoga. After that I got my day going but slowly--let the dog out and fed him, washed my hair and put on makeup, read the paper and emails, and it was almost ten before I got around to doing my yoga. Poor Socorro was trying to clean around me, and we kept ending up in the same room at the same time, but I did close the family room doors and get in a half hour of yoga. By the time I was dressed, it was time to go by the office, pick up my mail, and go to lunch with Melinda. I think that's the pace retirement should be lived at. I'm going to stop rushing myself and start thinking of my fulfilled projects as a blessing, rather than an empty desk.
Pleasant lunch, good nap, and then supper. My dinner pal, Betty, came here for supper since I was keeping Jacob. I fixed a favorite pasta dishes--green (spinach) noodles--but was so distracted by Jacob that I forgot the garlic, forgot the Parmesan. It was still good, lots of sliced mushrooms and hearts of palm in a lemon/butter/pesto sauce. The recipe, which I slowly expanded over the years, is in Cooking My Way Through Life. Betty has long been a fan of Jacob's, and after he got over a bit of shyness, he showed off in full form. After Betty left, he turned into a wild man, but that was okay.
Christian came to get him, and we both struggled with the pack-and-play, trying to get it folded up. We got close but not all the way, and I said we should give up. Frustration does not make for success, so we'll go at it another night. Meantime, it's down enough that Jacob won't announce he wants to sleep in it.
Now for a few peaceful minutes with a book.

No comments: