Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Quick and easy dip

This is the dip that I made for our block party. You just dump all the ingredients into a bowl and mix--be warned, it takes a very large bowl. I used the one I knead bread in.

16 oz. jar salsa--you can use mild, medium, or hot, depending on your taste--I used medium chunky Pace salsa (okay, I've been influence by the Pace ads on TV)
24 oz. sour cram--arghh! Use light sour cream
Small red onion, chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves chopped--(have you noticed how when you chop them in the blender they go all over the kitchen and you find bits of cilantro for days?) Save out some for sprinkling on top to make it look pretty
1 8 oz. pkg cheddar, shredded (I hate that pre-shredded stuff; use a grater and shred it--it doesn't take long)
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
Tortilla chips

My own note says to cut this in half because it makes enough for Cox's army, but I ignored it Sunday night and made the full recipe. Threw half of it away today (and there were about 15 people at the party) because sour cream dips don't keep well. I had hoped it would keep for this weekend when all but one of my girls come with their children. No way. It didn't taste good the next day.
So now I'm worrying about weekend men to feed four women and five children--most won't be here Friday and those that are will get hot dogs; Saturday I'll fix turkey tacos. Not inventive, but good for children. And my vegetarian granddaughter can have all the taco stuff except the turkey.
Meantime I overate today--an egg with toast for breakfast, half a tongue sandwich for lunch (tongue has lots of Weight Watchers points), and a conservative supper of gravlax, grape tomatoes, and hearts of palm. Too late by that time--the point damage was already done!
Got some work done today for the office, both at home and at the office, finished Bordeaux Betrayal by Ellen Crosby (I like her wine books), had lunch with an author, and am now ready to settle down with a manuscript to read for the press.

No comments: