Saturday, September 19, 2009

A day of small pleasures and accomplishments

My Saturday was to consist of a trip to the grocery store and keeping Jacob tonight, but other things came along. Mary Lu called from Dallas, said she'd be in Fort Worth, and could we have lunch--we did, at Carshon's, the local deli and one of my favorite places. We had a good visit and I had comfort food--a half of an egg-salad sandwich. When I got home I found Fed Ex had delivered an author's revisions to final copy--I swear he just got it yesterday. But I entered the revisions and got the whole project off to the publisher by email. I dealt with two manuscript proposals on my desk and had a long phone conversation with a physician I'd been trying to contact for some time to get information for my chapter in the osteopathic history. He had a couple of wonderful stories that will be great additions, and then we talked about the future of both the local ostoepathic college and the profession. Since osteopathic medicine has always been part of my life, that was really interesting to me.
And I got a good nap, rode my bike before Jacob came, and generally felt well pleased with the world.
Getting Jacob to eat his supper was not such a success--he rummaged in the backpack his mom had brought and found a tiny box of raisings, plus a bag of trail mix which he brought to the dinner table and I finally took away. I think his dinner consisted of a few blueberries and a few green peas (I'll use the rest of the small can for pea salad for lunch tomorrow). I saved his dinner--untouched hamburger with cheese on it--thinking his mom might want to reheat it for lunch tomorrow. Best part of the meal? I let the cheese on his meat (which I cooked longer than mine) melt a bit too much and some dripped into the pan and mixed with some crisp beef crumbles. I scraped the whole thing--less than one good bite--off the pan and saved it until I was doing dishes. So good!
One of my small triumphs was getting Jacob to try raspberries--he declined, saying he had tried them at "my home." Well, I knew better than that, because his mother never buys them. But I popped the last one in my mouth, which of course, led him to say, "I want one!" He ate two--a good start. I'm determined to enlarge his taste beyond that of his parents.
We had a peaceful evening, and as far as I know (and the monitor tells me) he is quietly in bed, leafing through a book. We read one chapter--about pirates--before I said goodnight. Someone wrote me today about learning patience, and I replied that grandchildren can really teach it to you. I've learned to cuddle with Jacob--somthing I rarely had time for with my own children--and to patiently sit with him when he's on the potty, to concentrate on him at meals rather than read a book (well, he's turning to watch the Disney channel all the time). But I am also a firm grandmom--when I tell him something I expect him to obey. We're having a battle now over throwing his sippee cup of milk on the floor when he's through with it. Tonight, he looked at me to see if I was watching and then deliberately dropped it. I told him, in no uncertain terms, how disappointed I was, and he kept saying, "I a good boy." If he does it in the morning, he goes to the time out chair--which he has told me is dirty!

No comments: