Thursday, September 10, 2009

Retirement is busy

For years, I put off retirement because I was afraid of waking up in the morning and thinking, "Omigosh, what am I going to do today?" Everyone told me that I'd be busier than ever but I couldn't believe it. Last night I told my brother there just aren't enough hours in the day, and he said, "I hate to be one of those people who says I told you so, but I did." So he did--and so did many others. And it's proving true.Yesterday I was a day late and a dollar short all day, so much so that I forgot to bring up my garbage carts from the curb last night and am indebted to my neighbor, Sue, who sent her kids to do it for me.

This morning I was at the office at 8:00 for meetings until 9:45 and spent the rest of the morning working there, until an 11:30 lunch with a friend's brother who has a background in publishing and is interested in the press directorship when it's posted. I couldn't give him any encouragement but I did tell him how the press operated, and he told me where his strengths were. He could well be a viable candidate, and besides that we had a pleasant visit and lunch.

Came home, did emails, slept for an hour, and boom! Jacob was here, which was almost a vacation. He was NOT in a good mood--storms scare him, and he arrived in the middle of one, plus he was tired after a day at school. When he demanded a second cup of milk, I told him his dinner was on the table. He whined and cried and said he didn't want his dinner--he wanted milk. So I ate by myself and pretty soon asked if he didn't want his supper (big deal--pbj sandwich) and he came and ate quite cheerfully. After tht the evening got better, and he was more fun, but mostly he preferred to watch TV, so I got to read. When he left I spent an hour spitting out email after email for the office, and now I'm tired and ready to call it quits. But I'll read for a bit more. There are so many good books out there to read--but I have to clear out my shelves. they're ridiculous, with books stacked every which way. Here's a picture of the sloppily overcrowded shelves in my office--they're the worst, but there are bookshelves, filled to capacity thoroughout my house. Someday, I'm going to reluctantly part with some books. It was one of my retirement resolutions. But not soon.

No comments: