Friday, March 06, 2009

Grandkids, and food, of course

Jacob is coming for his regular Friday night sleepover tonight. His mom was reminding him of that last night while he was eating a piece of cake (not sure of the occasion--maybe a reward for using the potty). He looked up and asked, "Does she have cake?" Jordan called and wanted me to rush out and get cake--I said I'd give him a Girl Scout thin mint out of the freezer. Then Jordan called Jamie, caught all four of them in the car on their way out for supper. She told Jamie to ask the girls if they want Jacob to come spend the night Saturday night. There were shrieks of "Yes," and then Edie, bless her heart, asked, "Is Juju coming too?" Yes, Juju is also going to Frisco though, alas, Christian will not--he's back to working weekends now that the weather is warm and Joe T.'s is serving on the patio.
Jay the neighbor is batching it this week, so he came over for leftover spaghetti and brought a luscious salad. It was in the high 80s yesterday, and we had the first dinner of the season on the porch. An absolutely lovely evening, with not too much breeze. I poured red wine over the once-frozen leftover spaghetti to loosen it up a big, but it was a mistake--the wine flavor didn't have time to cook it and it was too obvious in the pasta.
Since I'm off red meat for a while (after I've eaten all the leftovers) I've had salmon croquettes (a favorite from childhood), tuna salad, and tonight I think I'll make myself some chicken salad and just dice up chicken for Jacob. I got an avocado--he calls it go-go--so I told Melinda we were having go-go for supper, and she laughed. That's her grandson's name for her.
This has been a quiet week, and I've gotten a lot done, caught up on a lot of things, but next week promises to be hectic with entertaining. I'm having a small group of Bookish Frogs, about 12 people, here to meet an author Wed. night. I'll serve one dessert, coffee and wine. Saturday morning is a going-away brunch for Mary Lu, with 12 women, and Sunday--heaven help me--Jordan has requested her birthday dinner, which if I don't watch her will involve a cast of thousands for tacos--all that chopping and shredding! It will all work out, I know, but I'm tired all ready.
Meantime, I should (cross your fingers, please) have a fairly easy evening. Jacob is often so tired after a day at school that he quietly watches DVDs, while I sit at the table in the playroom and read. And tomorrow I have no errands, no grocery store runs, none of that--just a lazy time between when his parents pick up Jacob and we leave for Frisco (after his nap and mine!).

No comments: