Friday, June 14, 2013

Social grace--and the art of hostessing

I'm pleased to report that I've raised four children with social graces but tonight I have just one of them in mind. In the summer, Jordan and Christian open theier home for a potluck supper every Friday--or sometimes every other Friday. Tonight was the first one of this season. Their friends bring their children, along with favorite dishes. Kids play outside and have a wild time, then melt in front of the TV, while adults mingle and visit and catch-up. When I left tonight, there was a gin rummy game going at the kitchen table.
Jordan chooses a theme for every party--often it's Mexican food, but tonight it was appetizers, so we had tamales, quesadillas, veggies, two kinds of hummus, tuna salad. It's BYOB.
Jordan is one of the most gracious people I know. Once a friend said to me, "Jordan makes you feel like she's been waiting all day to see you." It's an art, and I'm so happy for her. She enjoys her own parties, and I am grateful to be included with all the young people. (Omigosh, they're all approaching their forties, so not so young any more.) But still I am greeted with hugs and warm affection that is genuine, and I'm included in the conversations
My children grew up in a household that was often filled with people. I entertained a lot--still do--and I'm pleased to see Jordan carry on the tradition.
And darn! Why didn't I think to take a picture of two!

No comments: