Friday, February 18, 2011

Glorious weather, easy meatballs, and a cranky grandchild

Today by 11 a.m. it was 76, and Greg, who does my lawn, was mopping his face and complaining that he shouldn't be sweating in February. But we agreed we love this weather. I've had the top down on my convertible for three days--gives me such a sense of freedom. I have, however, heard friends say they're planting their vegetable gardens and I want to say hold on! We're not out of it yet. Greg says at least one more cold spell is forecast, and I know traditional wisdom is not to plant before March15, the last date on which we can expect frost. Someone said today, however, they remembered frost in April. Meanwhile, my chives and tarragon are poking up bright new shoots. A lot of things that usually make it through, like my oregano and sage, didn't make it in this year of severe weather.
I am always thankfull for what a good life I live, and today I give thanks to the people who help me keep my house running. Two of the "men in my life" came by today--Greg, who began cleaning out flower beds and did some basic trimming of the herbs on the porch to see what's going to turn green--the mint definitely will. We could smell it. And then Lewis Bundock came by--I'd called him with a small list of chores. Lewis is a general contractor who remodeled my house in 2000 and adopted me--now he honestly does come for a light bulb (okay, it's a long flourescent light above a soffet near the kitchen ceiling). He also took one chair from the family room to take apart, re-glue and re-assemble. Is it coincidence it's the chair Jacob usually sits in?
Tonight I made meatballs, quickest, easiest recipe I've ever tried. I know I like to cook, but browning meatballs is to me drudgery. With the recipe I tried tonight you mix beef (I used grass-fed ground beef) and add panko, parmesan, garlic powder, oregano, basil, parsley and a bit of ketchup which struck me as incongruous--no egg. But here's the best part--you roll them into small balls and put in mini-muffin pans. Bake 20 minutes and you're done (okay, except for washing the pan, which I left for tomorrow--a lazy thing I don't often do). I'll see if they hold together in spaghetti sauce that I'll make tomorrow.
Jacob arrived unhappy, because he fell asleep in the car. He informed me, "I'm not talking," so I told him okay. Then he talked enough to say he wanted to watch a DVD. When I got so frustrated with all the trailers, he patted my shoulder, and said "Calm down, Juju." Later he told me he needed tea and wine because he had to go home for a meeting at his house. Where do they come up with these things?

No comments: