Sunday, June 27, 2010

Another good supper

This has been a good cooking weekend for me. Tonight, my longtime good friend Linda came for supper on her way from market in Dallas to her home in Granbury--Rodger, her husband, had gone back earlier to "tend the store," so while we missed him Linda and I had a good girls' visit. She has long told me how much she loves anchovies, and I promised to make her an anchovy spaghetti sauce. Actually I had some wild mushroom fettucine in the cupboard, so that's what I cooked. But the sauce has lots of anchovies (six), lots more fried capers, lemon zest and juice, flat parsley, garlic and olive oil You fry the capers in olive oil, drain them and discard the oil only to add more oil to the sauce. It dawned on me--too late--that I should have saved that oil and used it again. It makes a zesty, pungent sauce but not one too heavy for a summer night, as Linda pointed out. We had a simple lettuce and crouton salad with a lemon dressing--I made the dressing in a small jar this morning and when I shook it to mix I realized I hadn't gotten the lid screwed on straight--salad dressing all over my nightshirt and the kitchen! What a mess. When Linda said what a good dressing it was, I said, "Yeah, my nightshirt liked it too."
Otherwise a nice, lazy Sunday--I had to rush around to fix supper, because I took too long a nap in the afternoon, but I got it done. Went to visit Charles this morning, did a little work in the afternoon, and otherwise the day just went by. Sort of nice.
Jean, Jim, and I laughed last night that now that we're retired, we don't always know what day of the week it is--that's one of the questions they ask when they do Alzheimer's profiles. Especially when I wake in the morning, I'm confused--but I can usually figure out Sundays and Tuesdays (the day to take the trash carts down to the curb). 
I think I'll spend the rest of the evening with a book--sounds lovely and lazy.

No comments: