Thursday, April 15, 2010

Who Let the Dogs Out?

I didn't intend to blog today. It was a full and good day, but not the stuff of a blog--nothing thought provoking. We had a long staff meeting this morning, productive but not of interest to others, and then I met with Jim Lee about the festschrift we're doing about Elmer Kelton. Jeannie and I had lunch at Pei Wei and my Mongolian chicken was delicious, and Jeannie and I as usual had a good time. We drove all around looking for a house decorated with thousands of beer cans--I'd read about it in the paper--but we never found it. Home to work, nap, etc. Meanwhile a nice young man was washing the outside of my windows, and my house sparkles. Then dinner with Betty at Pappadeaux--Greek salad, crab fingers--delicious and filling. First time I have ever been asked about my shrimp allergy--when they showed us the ingredients of the salad, I said, "She gets the shrimp." The waitress immediately said, "Are you allergic?" and I answered that I was. Then she said, "We have to start all over," and that they did with ingredients not touched by shrimp (we had to ask for Betty's shrimp later). Then the manager was at our table, inquiring about my allergy because they fry the crab fingers in the same oil they use for shrimp. I assured her I wasn't super-sensitive, and all was well. Delicious meal. But I found their new caution most interesting, probably the result of a bad experience. I know some people are so sensitive that if they have a drop of water that shrimp have been boiled in, they can go into anaphylactic shock. The worst I've ever gotten is red streaks on my face, and I just prefer not to push it. But truly sort of a "And then I did this, and then I did that"--not a day worth blogging about.
Until Jordan called about 9:15 this evening and said Jacob wanted to talk to me. His question was about the song, "Who Let the Dogs Out?" To me, it's not a song, just a repetition of those words over and over, almost shouted rather than sung. But Jordan wanted to know why he was going around the house singing--or shouting it. I explained that he likes to have me Google dog videos, and that song was the background on one we watched last week. He came back on the line and said, "Hey,Juju, . . . ." I don't even know what he said because I was so struck by the "Hey, Juju"! We had  three-way conversation, in which Jordan explained to me it's a rap song and said, "You're way more cool than you think, Juju!" What a nice compliment from my daughter and grandson. But why was he still up at 9:30--I'll have to look into that:-)

No comments: