Saturday, April 10, 2010

How do You Fill an Empty Saturday?

Today, the only thing on my "to do" list (in my mind only) was to go to the grocery store, so the day yawned long and empty before me. Here are the things I did to fill it:
1. Browse at Barnes & Noble. I'm not a good browsing shopper but I do better in bookstores than clothing stores. I came away with a  book for a gift and a copy of Ruth Reichl's newest book, For You, Mom--Finally. Reichl, once restaurant reviewer for the NY Times and then editor of Gourmet, is one of my favorite food writers.
2. Browse at the nursery. I bought some impatiens for a shady spot on my porch--bought two and found only one wiill fit in the pot I brought from the garage--have to rethink that. I also bought more basil--who can ever have too much of that? And some cactus--ah, now that's an experiment. Really pretty and should look good in that shallow bird feeder on my porch table--but how to plant them without sticking myself to pieces. My solution: ask Greg to plant them (I warned him to bring gloves!)
3. Go to the grocery.
4. Do the little household chores you've been putting off.
5. Read a good mystery--always a given for me. This time it was Michele Scott's A Toast to Murder. I've become a big fan of Scott's winery books, started this brand new one last night and finished it tonight.
6. Do your volunteer calling for the church, which you've forgotten for two days.
7. Take a nap--another given for me.
8. Do a yoga workout.
9. Cook for yourself. Tonight I roasted two chicken thighs with soy, garlic powder, and seasoned salt. Mark Bittman cooked some on the TODAY show the other day and it reminded me how much I like chicken thighs. Of course, he used soy, fresh ginger, and I can't remember what else. I also roasted a butternut squash I'd had in the fridge for a while--wonder if I put enough butter and brown sugar with it if Jacob might eat it tomorrow night? I also sauteed myself some sugar snap peas. A delicious dinner, probably not too many points, and all good for you, except the skin on the chicken.
10. Catch up on other people's blogs and write your own.
There's probably more, but it's been a most satisfying day. Tomorrow I'll probably go to church, and then Jacob is mine from noon to 8 p.m. He still takes naps, so that's okay. Rue the day he stops napping. I'll put him in a cage for "quiet time" so I can nap.

No comments: