Friday, April 16, 2010

Enjoying LIfe

Today Melinda coerced (bullied? she didn't have to work hard at it) me into going to a Mexican restaurant for our favorite spinach enchiladas, and I of course cannot resist the refried beans, though it's easy for me to pass on the rice. Still that wasn't exactly a Weight Watcheers meal, but I enjoyed every bite of it, just as I did the Greek salad and crab claws last night. Coincidentally a dear friend sent me one of those messages that circulates on the internet about enjoying life as a senior citizen: things like (and I'm not quoting exactly) I will stay up until two if I want and sleep to noon; if I want the second cookie I'll eat it. It has dawned on me that I've really been stressing about losing that last five lbs. but as long as I don't become obese, at my age who really cares if I'm five lbs. overweight? People keep telling me how good I look. And I've been denying myself some foods that I really really like--crab claws and spinach enchiladas for starters. So I'm turning over a new leaf. Maybe I can think myself thin, but I'm through obsessing about points. Last week I stayed way under my limit on points and racked up a lot of exercise points--and I still gained. I have the sinking feeling that I've made this resolution before, but . . . .It may just be that, in combination with some medications I take, the good Lord intends me to weigh a bit more as I move further into my seventies.
I'm making the same resoluition about writing. I read all the posts on Agent Quest, from members of Sisters in Crime who are mostly unpublished and seeking agents, and I marvel at how much effort they dedicate to their writing, their query letters, their research of agents. And most of them are not spring chickens. But at 71 I've had a good career, so if I don't publish again, it isn't the end of the world. Don't get me wrong--I really really want to see my mysteries in print and to move on with the one I'm working on. But facing a weekend of good times, many with Jacob, I'm not going to try to squeeze in writing nor the one chore I have to do for the office. I'm going to enjoy family and friends, cooking, partying, and having a good time. And if I have a spare minute? I'll probably pick up that mystry I'm reading.
Good resolutions, and I hope I can keep them. I'm having a good time, and life seems good to me, so I'm not going to ruin it with compulsion and obsessions. Wish me luck.

No comments: