Saturday, April 17, 2010

The best laid plans . . . .

I knew the quote but wasn't sure how to spell the last word. Google at first told me that it was "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray." No, that's not how Roberts Burns wrote it! I knew the words but wasn't sure how to spell the last word. Good old Wikipedia came through. It's "The best laid plans of mice and men oft gang agley." That's it--agley! A wonderful word. I like the quote in the Scottish dialect so much better--but that's me and my heritage.
Anyway, that's what happened to the best laid plans of my local family today. I had Jacob last night (thank you, he didn't go to sleep until midnight and then had the audacity to wake up at 8:15 and tell me he was tired!). Christian was to come over, we'd put my new booster seat in my car, and take a trial run--I wanted company the first time, but there was nothing to it--except Jacob pushed the release button on the seat belt at a stop light! I guess if he does that to me, I'll just pull over as soon as I can.
We were going to go to Central Market, where I had shopping to do and Jacob and Christian could play in the playground. Wrong! It rained all day sometimes lightly, sometimes quite steadily. And that's what did in the rest of the plan. Jacob was to come back to my house for a nap, and then I was to take him home and make King Ranch supper for everyone. Christian was going to dig at the site of their big sprinkler system leak until he had to go to work, and Jay would go repair the pipe. Susan would go with me, and we'd have a jolly supper. Not so! Rain ruined all the gardening plans, Christian got bumped from his job because the patio was closed and they didn't need part-time waiters, and Susan was busy with her mother who fell and broke her pelvis a few days ago--plus Susan's sisters and various other relatives had arrived in town.
So Jacob went home for his nap (note my sigh of relief) and I did what any sensible person would do on a gray, rainy day like this--I read and napped, ate meatloaf for supper (so good!), and that's all I intend to do the rest of the evening. It's that old thing about we need the rain, in spite of a wet winter and spring, and I am grateful,, but . . . .
A first for me: I never wear my hearing aids at home unless I have company (Jacob, Jordan and Christian don't count) but tonight "Celtic Women" is on PBS, and I could hear the soloists but not the background music, especially the violins. So I put my hearing aids in, and the sound is so much richer. That haunting, lilting music really speaks to me. I often have the TV on as sort of background noise, but tonight I find myself looking up from my book to watch the singers. Their rendition of "Amazing Grace" was--no other word forit--amazing. I also particularly love the woman who skips and dances while playing the violin--I can't even rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time and though I took violin lessons as a child, I was dismal at it (a tin ear) and surely could never play and dance.Maybe someday I'll get to Scotland yet--in the meantime, I go there in my mind and through programs like this one.
PS: I just discovered tonight that when you brush your teetch with an electric toothbrush whle wearing hearing aids, the sound is incredible! Like the first time I ate a crunch dill pickle with those things in my ears!
Tomorrow? More rain!

No comments: