Thursday, April 01, 2010

April Fool's and Facebook

I guess I'm a little dense about April Fool's now that all the pranking kids are out of my house. Couldn't figure out why Google said Topeka today until a librarian sent out an email to the whole staff to check it. Then I had to ask him what the deal was, and he explained. Then I saw it on NBC Nightly News, which really made me feel dense. I also get a booksellers' newsletter online called Shelf Awareness. This morning it was all about sweeping changes in publishing--what's in and what's out--due to President Obama's recent triumphs, health care, arms treaty, etc. One publisher was changing its name to Armegeddon and publishing works by Sarah Palin and others of the same ilk. About halfway through, I got the gist of it and had a good laugh. Then there have been funny posts on Sisters in Crime. Maybe I'm not used to April Fool's jokes being so intellectual.
I searched for an old friend today on Facebook and invited her to be my friend. She replied by email that she didn't do any social networking any more (she must check Facebook to know that I tried to contact her) but she was still my friend. So I emailed.
My kids used to tell me I should get on Facebook, and I scoffed. But when I finally did I realized it's a good way to keep up with them--except the Houston Alters who have given it up (and not just for Lent). Now my complaint is almost the opposite--some of them are on Gowalla (whatever that is) where posts show up on Facebook showing where they are every minute--lots and lots of bars and restaurants, maybe more than I want to know. One son-in-law's Twitter posts automatically show up on Facebook, and he's a software engineer, so the posts have to do with stuff I have no inkling about. But then he does go to bars and restaurants.
What I've really found wonderful about it is that I do indeed connect with old friends with whom I'd lost touch--a former neighbor to whom I was close when our kids were young, my best friend from high school, writers I knew in the past but have lost touch with. And I keep up with friends and authors I probably wouldn't any other way. I'm aware of the dangers--one friend says her daughter-in-law got a horrible virus, and I know not to reveal too mch personal information--but I enjoy it.
On the Sisters in Crime listservs they emphasize the importance of Facebook, Twitter, blogging, You-Tube, etc. for publicizing your book. The big new thing is not an author tour to many cities, but a virtual tour online (thank goodness--who wants to sit, looking forlorn, in bookstores across the country while patrons try to avoid looking you in the eye!). So, in case I ever have a mystery published--please cross your fingers, eyes, and toes simultaneously--I've got a good start. I even took a class in Twitter (Jamie told me I was wasting $55), but it's still a mystery to me and I've given up on it. And You-Tube--no, I'm not going there. I'm very happy with my little corner of the social networking world, plus the listservs and blogs I follow. I truly do try not to let it take up too much of my desk time!

No comments: