Monday, July 06, 2009

Good things happening

Good things have been happening to me in recent days, but my biggest, proudest news today is that I lost 2.9 lbs. last week and have reached what Weight Watchers says is my goal--I actually want to lose a little more. But I'm excited--by my calculations, not theirs, I've lost 10 lbs. I can't always figure out their calculations.

I've posted some of the other good news--the invitation to participate in the activities of a women's memoir Web site and the news that the publisher is still considering my manuscript. But today I talked to the editor of a monthly county magazine, and it looks like I might get to do a monthly food writing column--what I've really been wanting to do--plus some book reviews and maybe some local interest pieces. So suddenly I feel better about retirement--I have a lot of work to do. First thing on my agenda is to edit recipes for Grace & Gumption: The Cookbook. I've already had fun with one or two.

Tonight I invited a neighbor down for a drink. She's very recently widowed, and her children are heading out to college--one already at summer school and the other going tomorrow. I had always been told she was very shy but at a party about a week ago I found her very outgoing and interesting. So she came tonight bearing her glass of red wine--my porch is generally BYOB and I don't drink red--and we had a lovely visit. I think I've made a new friend, and I'm delighted.

Someone asked today if I'm counting the days until retirement and I am--seven working days, though I may take Friday morning off to do my Saturday chores since Jordan, Jacob and I are leaving about 4 for Austin. Life looks pretty good.

No comments: