Thursday, July 23, 2009

Getting the Big Head

After a "photo shoot" Tuesday, today I made southwestern tuna salad this morning for a video for the TCU alumni magazine and online program. I had originally said I'd make Colin's queso, but it has 1 lb. hamburger, 1 lb. sausage, 1 lb. Velveeta, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, and 1 jar picante sauce. Delicious, but my goodness look at all those calories. So I switched to the tuna, which is a great variation on standard tuna. Here's the recipe:

7-1/2 oz. can albacore tuna in water
Juice of one good, juicy lime
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp. capers
1/4 c. chopped celery
1.4 c. chopped red onion
pinch of cumin (I used more)
either canned chopped chillies (1 can) or a jalopeno (I much prefer the canned chillies)
Mayonnaise to bind (but don't make it soupy)

The recipe is in Cooking My Way through Life with Kids and Books.

I was very much like Martha Stewart--had the cilantro, celery, and onion cut up ahead of time and all the ingredients out on the counter. When it's online, I'll be sure to post a link here. Later it dawned on me that I'd worn my Med-Alert medallion the whole time. I think the segment should be titled "Old Lady Cooks!"
Then Melinda came at lunchtime to install Microsoft Office 2007 and Filemaker so I can do my TCU work from home. We had tuna, fresh tomato (from her garden--there is no beating the taste of fresh garden tomatoes!), and hearts of palm for lunch. And it was such a lovely cool day we ate on the porch. She had to uninstall my old Microsoft program to install the new one, and while she and the tech person at TCU were laughing over the phone I was worrying about my files--but they all made it intact. Installing Filemaker was much easier and quicker.
Tonight Betty and I went to Winslow's, a fashionable and crowded wine bar--we had salmon cakes with gorgonzola remoulade and grape tomato salad--delicious! A lovely pleasant evening, so it's been another good retirement day.
My email has been down for hours--most frustrating!

No comments: