Friday, September 08, 2023

The power of women—and a note on influencers

 


I am so excited that Christian put up my yard sign for Mothers Against Greg Abbott. After it arrived in the mail, I asked him if he would put up my MAGA sign, and he was horrified. “Juju, MAGA?” I laughed and told him, “No, not that one.” So he was glad to put this up, saying, “I’m no fan of Greg Abbott.” Now I’ve seen another yard sign I want, though I’m not sure how Christian would feel about putting this one up: “I am WOMAN. Hear me ROAR! Watch me VOTE!”

A friend who was here to talk about writing this morning lived in Mexico for quite a few  years and keeps up with what’s happening in that country. When I mentioned that Mexico’s Supreme Court just decriminalized abortion throughout the country, he said that things get done in Mexico because the women know how to do things, The men strut, the women act. And, according to him, it looks as though Mexico may soon get a woman as president.

And that led into talk about women. He reminisced about women he’s known, reflecting that he can think of several women, most of them elderly when he encountered them, who had a profound influence on his life. Try as he might, he could not think of that many men. First and foremost was his grandmother, Ethel Yeager, whose writings he collected and published as A Soul Housed Up, available on Amazon. He began to reminisce about women who had influenced him at various times in his life and career both as a scholar and an Episcopalian priest.

And I got to thinking about women today. We’re always hearing that women are in the ascendancy, the power that Gloria Steinem and Angela Davis worked for is coming to fruition in our day and age. Today there are twelve women governors, twenty-five women senators, 135 women in the House of Representatives, and 424 who are mayors of cities with a population of over 30,000. But more than that, women’s movements are active on the progressive scene: Mothers Against Greg Abbott, Mothers Against Drunk Drivers, Red, Wine, & Blue powered by women, just to name a few. At the other extreme is Moms for Liberary, a far-right extremist group. Women are influencers, though they often aren’t named as such.

And that thought, plus an article I read, made me think about what today we call influencers. I”ve never been sure about that term—how does one get to be an influencer? Is it a job you apply for? Who hires you. I know TikTok has a lot to do with it, but I am not a TikTok user. Today an article in Texas Monthly answered those questions.

Writer Russell Gold saw an ad for tweets in support of Kenneth Paxton, our “Impressively corrupt” AG. Curious, Gold filled out a Google form, and posted two “middle-of-the-road” tweets—one a link to an article about key people in the impeachment proceedings and the other a speculation of whether or not Paxton would be acquitted. This week, he received a check for $100, even though the tweets did not directly support Paxton.

It seems that stirring up noise about the case is enough to make Texas big money happy. The check came from Influenceable LLC and the payer was the wife of Brad Parscale, former head of digital operations for trump. The money apparently came from a wealthy Texan named Dunn whose monehy is behind the campaign to exonerate Paxton. The thing that amazed me is that there is thia enormous dark network or organization working to spew out buzz or spin or whatever on behalf of Paxton. Gold, unwittingly, found himself a paid propagandist for Kenneth Paxton, a position he did not want. To his credit, he donated the $100 to a charity and wrote the article to alert others to what’s going on. Read it here: My Brief Career as a Paid Pro-Paxton Propagandist (texasmonthly.com) Not a Texas Monthly subscriber? You can log in as a guest.

So now I have a new goal: I want to be an influencer for the election of Joe Biden. Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone who is paying for such work. Then again maybe I’m already doing it pro bono. Problem is I don’t know if I have any influence. How will I know when I can call myself an influencer?

 

No comments: