Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday blues

I'm curiously out of sorts tonight and not sure why. I've had a pleasant weekend, though a bit lonely. But my neighbor and I sat on the porch a while last night--it is such pleasant porch weather in the evenings, I just wish it didn't get dark so early! We managed to avoid politics and talked a lot about dogs. Today I was to babysit Jacob from 10 until 2 but when Jordan arrived with him she wasn't feeling well and finally decided not to go to the luncheon. So we had grilled cheese lunches at 11 a.m., played with Jacob until about 12:30, and then all three of us took long naps. It was fun. Sometimes long weekends do make me out of sorts, but I don't think that's it.
I think I'm unhappy about my writing. I've finished rereading Skeleton in a Dead Space and think I'm okay with it. Tonight it's the subject on the blurb exercise (through Sisters in Crime) so I'm not going to submit it elsewhere until I get those comments, but I'm ready to submit. I figure there are three queries out that might get responses, about four more I don't exepect to hear from, and it's been rejected five times. That's honestly not too depressing a record as these things go. And I'm rethinking my second novel in my mind, uncertain about plot and motivation (I'm learning a lot from this online course in cozy writing). I'm not ready to read through it and change it but thoughts keep popping into my mind. So of course I'm distracting myself by reading someone else's mystery--which may be why I'm out of sorts.
Tomorrow I work from home while an AT&T guy wires my house for HDTV. but I have two major office projects to work on and I won't procrastinate on them like I am on the novel. So tomorrow will be a better day (to almost quote Scarlet). Meantime I guess I'll finish that mystery which, truth be told, I think I already read once.

No comments: