Saturday, October 04, 2008

Exhuastion is the sequel to "Yikes!"





This is what a yard sale looks like at my house. The cane-seated oak chairs are antiques--I paid a hefty bit for them 30 years ago, and I've been trying to sell or give them away for about a year now. Cane seats and small grandchildren do not mix well. No takers today. The kids did a pretty good job of cleaning up--they were soooo tired--but I stumble over this and that here and there--and there's a huge pile of trash on the front porch that Christian will come get tomororow. Jordan has an 8:15 flight to Vancouver in the morning--her travel agency is sending her on a "fam" trip, a 5-day cruise which will be meeting after meeting and not all run and play. I don't know how she'll do it because I was exhausted myself all day and did almost nothing to help with the sale. My feet still hurt from last night's reception, and my whole body felt weary. Jordan said she could tell my feet hurt by the way I walked. An indication of how tired I was: for the first two hours or so that I was up I had my left shoe on my right foot and vice versa. I finally looked dowh and thought, "This is wrong!" I'd see something that needed to be done and think, "No, not now." I did get Jacob up, diapered, dressed and fed breakfast--which he didn't eat. About the only other constructive thing I did was to go to the grocery store--and take a long nap.

The neighbors came for drinks and cilantro pesto with hummus--my experiment of the day. Jay (the handsome one who's a conservative) was late because he was playing ball with Jacob at Jordan and Christian's. He had been a huge help with the sale. I had my dinner half cooked--green beans with bacon and vinegar, sauteed tiny tomatoes. I'll saute fish just before I eat. I figure if I have a glass of wine with the neighbors I'llbe too tired to cook the whole thing from scratch. The pesto/hummus combination turned out to be great. I tried to take a picture of us having happy hour with a huge pile of trash behind us, but it didn't work so you'll just have to take my word for it--it was a tranquil ending to a hectic day, even if we did get into a political discussion. We're of different persuasions, but we're pretty honest about it and it works well. Jay, Susan and Sue went off to Chadra, the Lebanese restaurant, to meet friends for dinner, but I begged off. I had that half cooked dinner, and I'm most content at home, trying to catch up on things and finish a mystery I've been reading for days.

No comments: