Monday, October 06, 2008

Rejection, yoga and the dentist

In late September, I queried an agent about my first mystery--I changed the title from Dead Space to Skeleton in a Dead Space. I thought that would be magic, but it wasn't. The agent responded by return email asking to see the full manuscript--that's unusual, and it was my first request for a full. Uusally agents if they are at all interested only want 30 pages. But today she rejected it--kindly, saying she liked the heroine, my writing, the premise, but it dragged in spots and didn't hold her as a reader. When I wrote to thank her for quick respone and kind words, she replied she was sure I would find a home for it, that her reaction was purely subjective--which is probably true. Who knows what kind of a mood she was in or how pressured when she read it. But I don't know whether I'm encouraged or discouraged--I'm eating chocolate just in case. I can't decide whether to read it one more time--I cannot tell you how many times I've read it--looking for "dead spaces" in the text or to move on to the half-written sequel, which I've ignored of late.
I thought maybe a yoga session would sort my thoughts out. It didn't. But it was encouraging. Elizabeth, my friend/instructor, keeps telling me every day is a different day. One day you can do a pose perfectly and the next you might fall on your face if you tried it. Yesterday morning, nervous about my big adventure to the Cowgirl, I did my routine--and did awfully at many poses, felt my muscles quiver where they don't usually, forgot some aspects of poses and of the routine, etc. and did not feel relaxed at all at the end of it. Today, in spite of rejection and a trip to the dentist, I did soooo much better--in fact, I think if Elizabeth had been here she would have told me my form was really good. Funny--or maybe not--how your mind affects the function of your body. I guess I more than others should now that by now.
I did go to the dentist with much less trepidation that I had about going to the Cowgirl (go figure--makes no sense; I used to go to the Cowgirl all the time). And I'm now the proud new owner of a gold crown that feels quite comfortable.Got to go back at 7:45 Thursday a.m. for gum cleaning and a few days later for a regular cleaning. Seems I'm spending a lot of time in the dentist's chair, not my favorite place.
I'm in the midst of another absorbing mystery--not my own--so I'm going to read and ignore mine one more day. Tomorrow I'll have lunch with Fred, my mentor, and maybe he'll have wonderful words of encouragement. He thinks we're celebrating the request of a full manuscript. Hah!

No comments: