Saturday, February 02, 2008

Superbowl Sunday

I always kind of disliked Superbowl Sunday, mostly because I have zero interest in football. Years ago, when I was married (seems like another life and I guess it was), we used to go to Superbowl parties. I remember one year a physician/friend rented an entire restaurant and everyone had too much to eat and drink and no one cared a hoot what was happening on the screen. I think it was one of those times I refused to risk life and limb by driving home with my clearly inebriated husband and called a friend to come get me--but that's another story. Anyway these days most people I know go to Superbowl parties--and I sit home and watch the Souper Bowl on PBS, or used to.
This is one of those long empty weekends anyway--younger, I used to call them divorcees' damn dull weekends. This time I decided I could either make the most of it and enjoy it, or I could be bored and unhappy all weekend. I chose the former. This morning I did all those chores that are such a nuisance--getting the jeweler to put a new battery in my watch (I haven't a clue how to get to it), dropping old clothes off at a charity resale shop, getting the oil in the car changed, going to the vet for dog food. But I also wandered slowly through Central Market--and used the coupon I forgot last week and the one for this week.
The result of that shopping trip is I had a lovely dinner tonight. Puttered in the kitchen over making a salad and grilling a ruby red trout--I discovered that half a trout is plenty for me, but it was so good! I used my George Forman grill with lemon butter touched with a bit of tarragon and dried garden mint. The salad was the blue cheese one that my family is currently all crazy about. And I topped it all off with the fresh raspberries I splurged on. I've been reading a P.D.James novel--slow going for me--but tonight I think I'll read through the cookbook one more time and then ship it off. To my disappointment, it won't be in the fall catalog but spring'09.
Tomorrow is supposed to be in the '70s, and I'm determined to do some weeding. And, I guess in the spirit of Superbowl, I'm determined to make a bit pot of chili, even though no one's coming to eat it with me. Jordan and Christian are supposedly coming early in the week for dinner and then to put Christmas in the attic. But back to the chili--I've always made what I called "Judy's mild and simple chili" but I found a new recipe I want to try (with a few alterations, of course) and I bought ground bison today for it. I may never buy ground beef again now that I've discovered bison!
Y'all enjoy that game. Now, who's playing?

No comments: