Monday, February 18, 2008

A day out of the routine

I had long-standing plans today to go with former dean Mary Volcansek to talk to an artist about a book in Meridian, almost two hours from Fort Worth. In anticipation, I chafed at the idea--I had work on my desk, etc. But it was a lovely experience. On a sunny bright day we drove down back roads and saw Central Texas at its best--rolling green hills, animals in the fields (lots of goats), small towns with occasional wonderful gingerbread houses. Oh, yes, we missed the road a couple of times, mostly because we got confused around courthouses and squares. But we arrived at our destination two minutes early of the appointed time.
Our destination was the home of artist George Hallmark and his wife, Lisa, just outside Meridian. It boasted one of the most spectacular views of a Texas valley that I've ever seen. The house, though small, was so delightfully designed and decorated that you just wanted to sit there and take it all in. I begged off the tour of his studio--it was up a steep, open staircase, with that valley falling away to the side. But then we all gathered in the living room where talk was plentiful and cheery--and finally turned to his project of painting the missions and presidios of Texas. (Mary and I weren't sure exactly what the difference is, but a presidio was the garrisoned fort built to protect a mission.) Talk turned to plans of a possible exhibition and accompanying catalog, which TCU Press would publish. And we roughed out ideas to be explored.
And then we went to lunch. Meridian is one of those small towns experiencing a resurgence. Many movers and shakers from the Metroplex have retired there and things are happening--a magnificent art center for Bosque County, interesting shops, and a small restaurant called Cactus Cafe, run by a classically trained Hispanic man. That's where we had lunch--I had a delicious open-faced chicken salad sandwich with homemade potato chips. I tried to resist them, really I did, but I ended eating about half of them. We were back at my office about 3:15, feeling we had had a most pleasant and productive day.
Of course, then I had to deal with 48 emails etc. and play catch-up, but I came home, put on my sweats, and got to work.
Last night I had old friends for dinner and fixed a tamale pie, made with polenta. It's one of my favorite new recipes, because the meat sauce has a wonderful spiciness. It include a jar of salsa, a can of refried beans, and some chicken broth along with the ground beef--I used beef broth instad of chicken because that's what I had. And then you use lots of cheese--I mean lots--with sliced rounds of ready-made polenta. I thought I'd begin with a guacamole appetizer and bought ready-made--but then I thought I ought to spark it up. So I added lime juice. Not quite right. Chopped tomato (which dissolved right into the guac) and chopped scalliions (which I never saw again). Still not right. Chili powder. Getting better but not right. Some salsa. Still weird to me and by now it was a weird gray-green color, spotted with the red of the chili powder. I served it apologetically, but they raved over it--beyond, I like to think, what politeness would have required. I told them they didn't have to eat it, but I wasn't giving them cheese as an appetizer because there was so much in the cassrole. We had expected a third person who was unable to come, so I have a lot of casserole left. But Jordan has arranged a Mexican night here for Wednesday, so I'll get out my leftovers. I imagine between 17 people, the tamale pie will disappear.
Tomorrow is a blessedly quiet day in which I can--I hope--spend the entire morning at my desk at the office and get lots done.

No comments: