Friday, February 15, 2008

Food, weather, a bit of politics, and a blog

I just had a wonderful supper. Friday night seems to be the night I often fix myself a special dinner. Tonight it was scallops Provencale--I usually cook sea scallops, but Central Market only had the small bay scallops, and they were wonderful. I sauteed them in butter and olive oil until they were lightly brown and just cooked. Put them on a plate, added a bit more butter to the skillet, a dash of white wine, sliced garlic, a bit of chopped tomato, and a pinch of thyme and then put that over the scallops. Central Market had asparagus tips today--usually they only have bundles, and I have to either forego or decide to eat asparagus all week (which isn't all bad) but today I bought just enough tips for one serving. Yes, they were expensive, but one serving was a bit over a dollar. I sauteed those in butter and olive oil, sprinkled with kosher salt and pepper. It was all delicious.
Tomorrow Jordan is coming for salmon (I had a coupon today). I think I'll fix a green goddess sauce for it with tarragon--oh, I don't remember what all, but I have a recipe. Sunday night friends are coming, and I'll fix a tamale pie with polenta and a huge tossed salad. Dessert will be my new favorite--ice cream cups with chocolate sauce. Talk about the casual hostess!
We're in for Texas weather. This morning it was in the upper 40s, a bit breezy and very gray, but not bad. During the morning it got progressively colder. Tomorrow they predict heavy cold rain, so I rushed to two groceries at noon, got everything I need (I surely hope!), and plan not to stick my nose out all weekend. Since I'll have company both nights, it's night like I'm being a hermit, which I don't like.
My neighbor, Susan, came over today to help me put all the Christmas decorations in the attic. I'm ashamed that it's almost March and my decoratons, in boxes, paper bags, and black plastic bags, still decorated the guest room. Susan and I made short work of it, though she wouldn't let me do the attic part--I handed her things from the ground. Good neighbors are like gold, and I am most grateful to her. She and her husband also sent me flowers yesterday, which was a lovely Valentine surprise. The flowers are on my desk--a nice bright spot in a cluttered, messy office.
I'm watching all this politics with great interest. A friend said to me that it irritated her and she just wished it was over with, but I'm enjoying the process. I'm only interested, of course, in the Democratic side. McCain has the Republican tied up (I really was interested in the verbal battles between him and Romney, and it's politics as usual that Romney has now endorsed him). I'm not much of a fan of Senator McCain--on a few issues, yes, and I admire what I always thought was his honesty, though I'm now told I may be misled. But his stance on military matters and international relationships (or non-relationships) frightens me, and I don't like his abortion stand either. But I like both the Democrats, and I watch them battle with mixed feelings--each wants it so badly, has so much at stake, that I worry about the loser. For our country, I hope they can collaborate, because I think they truly speak of the future. Funny, but lately two staunchly Republican friends--one my son-in-law--have confessed to me that they'll vote Democratic in the March 4 primary. Of course, they had different candidates, but hey! Two for our side!
If you're reading this on Saturday morning, go to http://www.petticoatsandpistols.com. I'm the guest blogger for the week. Interesting experience, since it's a romance writers blog, and I'm not a romance writer. Still, tonight, I read a recap of It Happened One Night on that blog and realized that it has the bare bones of romance writing. I could do that too, without the bodice busting scenes.
If you're in Texas, I hope you stay warm and cozy this weekend.

No comments: