Sunday, October 22, 2006

Wind and sun

I had a great weekend! Went to the book signing in Granbury. The panel was on a terrace outside the City Hall building--a wonderful rock building with stamped tin ceilings. The terrace overlooks a small branch off the Brazos that has now been landscaped and rocked and is really pretty. There was a breeze but the temperature was good and it was pleasant. Not a huge crowd, but a nice, responsive group. And I thought the panel worked well, everyone was pleasant, some even funny. The audience seemed to laugh a lot, which is my sign of a good program.
Then I went home with my brother, had a really good visit, a great steak dinner, and a good night's sleep. Turned down an offer this morning to go while they moved cattle because it was cold and I didn't really have the right clothes--so I sat and read my mystery, watched political shows, and thoroughly enjoyed it all. But later today I regretted not spending the time outdoors. John dropped me in Granbury at friend Linda's store and we went to a Jazz on the Green outdoor concert--it was cooler, the breeze was stiff but the sun on our backs was warm and the music was great. I loved it. We came back to Fort Worth, bought a take-out dinner at Central Market, intending to eat it with a civilized glass ofwine on the front porch, but the sun had gone down, the wind had come up, and it was too cold. Still, in retrospect I think of it as a weekend spent outside, and being outside made me feel great. Yeah, I tool around town with the top on my car down on nice days but it's not the same. I think this raised my spirits and made me think I need to spend more time outside. My sister-in-law, Cindy, spends most of her days outside, tending gardens and animals, and she's one of the healthiest, happiest people I know. Lesson learned though, unfortunatley, not necessarily put into practice.

No comments: