Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A New Day and a New Person

Yesterday was one of those days! I describe it as a day I'm just not wrapped right. Felt just awful in the morning--allergies, draining, symptoms you don't want to hear about. In fact, I felt so bad I "flunked" the audiologist's hearing test to see how much improvement my hearing aids are giving me. I told him my brain was simply to foggy to play, "Repeat this word." Things got a little better as the morning wore on, and by noon I was anticipating a nice lunch with two old friends. Until I lost my keys. They simply vanished into thin air. I had to call Jordan to bring me a house key so I could go get a spare car key, and she said she'd foist that chore off on Christian. Before all that happened, the keys turned up--in one friend's car where I'd sat for two minutes just to chat. He brought them to lunch. I was finally able to sneak home about 3:30, but when I got there the electric gate wouldn't open--again. Fed the cat, got into comfortable clothes, and turned on the computer--only to find that I was due back on campus for a meeting in seven minutes. I skpped that meeting--and the church Assembly that night to stay home and lick my wounds. Lisa called me on our Skype program (wonderful, if you don't have it) and I could see and hear her and adorable Morgan; they could see me but couldn't hear me, so they hung up. Then my computer told me I didn't have an A drive, when I know perfectly well I do. I took a glass of wine to the porch and sat and tried to empty my mind, think about nothing, watch the trees sway in the breeze, listen to the cars going by. I kept telling myself I should go inside, I had phone calls to make, things to do--but I just at there. It was wonderful.
And today I'm a new person. My gate works. My computer works (rebooting fixes all things, even the sound device), and the world looks petty good to me.

No comments: