Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Onstage at Bass Hall

I should have posted this last week when the event was fresh in my mind. The only excuse is that I left a day later for Austin and have been out of my routine ever since. But on Wednesday evening, October 25, all thirteen contributors to the collaborative novel appeared onstage at Bass Hall, Fort Worth's premiere and very classy performance hall.
Background: I think I've mentioned it before, in connecton with promotional travels around the state, but TCU Press has published a collaborative novel, just like Naked Came the Stranger, which appeared in the '80s--well, no, not just like. Ours is a western, called Noah's Ride. Thirteen authors contributed twelve chapters to what turned out to be an amazingly coherent story and a pretty darn good read. And Wednesday we had our moment in the stars.
First there was a small reception--to my great joy, Jamie, Jordan and Christian were there, and I was able to introduce everyone to my kids. And there was an old friend from long-ago who hadn't seen them since they were little. When he hugged Jamie, Jame looked at me with some alarm as though to say "Who is this man and why is he hugging me?" But then, from his always-impressive memory, he pulled up the name. When I pointed out Jordan, the old friend said, "You're kidding me!" Fun!
I was, I admit, a basket case in advance of this event--I am not the onstage type. I worried most about unsure footing walking out, because when I'm nervous my footing falls apart. I am afraid I made a stink about the issue but everyone was overly solicitous, Susan from my office walked me out and handed me over to Jeff Guinn, former book editor of the Star-Telegram and a contributor to the novel, who was host for the evening. And once I got talking with Jeff and good friend Jim Lee, I was completely comfortable. (A friend who goes to a lot of such programs praised my poise and my voice--I'll get the big head!) We were onstage in groups, then all came back from a q&a, and it was over almost too soon. Then we signed books for nearly two hours--180 books (that delights the publisher side of me!)
To my everlasting delight, Jamie hung around, was almost last in line buying three books, and took me home. On the way we rehashed the evening, which was fun. And I got an email still the other day about my "drop-dead handsome" son.
No, I didn't sleep well that night. Too wound up. But it's a night that will live in my memory.

No comments: