Sunday, October 01, 2006

Hello again

Well, maybe as the saying goes, I've got my groove back. I've had a wonderful weekend, with Megan, Brandon and two-year-old Sawyer arriving Saturday. We all went to Frisco for dinner with those Alters--Jamie, Mel, and my two granddaughters. (I took Norwegian hamburgers, a recipe from daughter-in-law Lisa's mom--don't family connections get involved?). We left Brandon in Frisco to do a triathlon this morning with Jamie. Megan, Sawyer and I had a lazy morning on the porch--he was happiest opening and closing the lid of the trash can, while I read the paper and commented frequently to Megan--I'm not sure she was always interested in my interpretation of the news. Then we met Jordan, Christian and Jacob for brunch. Jacob (three months) proved true to form and cried the minute I held him. But it was wonderful to be with all of them.
Meantime, back at my desk, the cookbook has gone off for consideration by another publisher, and I feel good about it. I've sent off a couple of ideas for the Dallas Morning News column, and the new editor seems receptive to continuing the column, for which I am grateful
The coming week promises to be busy capped by a Thursday night event wherein the Friends of the TCU Library will host, "An Evening with Judy Alter," and my good friend Jim Lee will interview me about my newest book, Sue Ellen Learns to Dance and Other Stories and about my career. An ego trip, but a small one amongst people I know and love.
But maybe the best news is that I've gotten back to the novel. I had ignored it for almost a month because other things pressed--and I don't know if that's good or bad. You lose momentum no doubt about it, but I am always a believer in the subconcious--and maybe my back-of-the-burner brain was working on it. At any rate now, tonight, since I've read over the opening pages, my brain is definitely tuned into it again and I hope to work away, though the fall promises to be busy.
My new crusade: buy those flourescent light bulbs that take the place of everyday incandescent bulbs. Yeah, they're more expensive. But they last 5-7 years, and if you read the statistics about what you save in electric bills and, much more important, what the world saves in fossil fuel, you'll be converted. It's as much a global responsibliity thing with me as it is cost-saving, and I intend to start buying one or two bulbs a week until all the light bulbs in my house are replaced. I hope you'll join me.

No comments: