Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sunday evening supper and tears near the surface

 

One of my favorite pictures. 
John and I enjoying a happy time at his ranch.

Renee came for Sunday supper tonight, and we had a high old time talking about everything from Jacob’s upcoming prom to osteopathic medicine. Sunday supper is a longstanding tradition in my family, the sense that it should be just a little bit better, a little bit different from ordinary supper. When I was living at home and my brother gone to college or the Navy, Mom rolled her tea cart into the living room, in front of the fireplace, and we had a casual, light supper—a souffle or cheese strata. Today, Sunday supper is still special—we try to have everyone home and the menu is carefully chosen. Tonight Christian cooked an Asian beef and green bean stir fry, and, mixing cultures a bit, I fixed a Lebanese potato salad. Christian didn’t think the two would go together but admitted tonight they did complement each other

But tonight it was the Sunday suppers of my children’s high school years that were much on my mind. My big brother, the patriarch of our family, died yesterday morning at the age of ninety-two. He was my last surviving blood relative and the man I knew all my life would protect me. Everyone asks how I am, and the answer is “fine, but teary.” John and I have lived in close proximity probably more than not—as children, of course. He went to boarding school as a high school junior and was never home again, but in 1961, he declared I needed to get out on my own and took me off to Kirksville, Missouri where he was studying osteopathic medicine and his wife was working on a master’s in English. I too worked on that master’s. That move set the course for my life, including marriage to an osteopathic student and a doctorate in English. I moved to Texas in 1965, and he to Colorado in 1966. In 1980, he moved to Fort Worth to join the faculty of the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine.

In the early 1980s, John and I found ourselves both single with six teen-agers between us. Sunday suppers became an institution. We gathered at my house each week, inviting stray people we thought needed to join us—the parents of my goddaughter often, a good friend recently divorced several times, the kids’ friends. I fed anywhere from ten to fifteen those nights. Presence was required for the kids unless they had a job obligation, which some did. John presided over the table, led us in grace, and ceremoniously served the meal. Table manners were strictly monitored,  mostly by John, and I’m proud to say today all six of those kids have great table manners.

I loved cooking those dinners. Mostly they were a success, though sometimes not. I remember a turkey Wellington recipe which I have long since lost to my regret, and I distinctly remember one night I did a marinated butterflied leg of lamb (I must have thought I was a rich woman). Sometimes we had a turkey or a casserole or whatever I chose. One night, when my office was working on a regional cookbook, I fixed a cornbread/hamburger casserole I’d found the recipe for. John took one bite, looked at me, and asked, “Sis, is the budget the problem?”

Probably though the kids most remember the conversation. John went around the table, asking each person perhaps what they were grateful for or what they had done that week. No one was allowed to shrug it off—you had to have a cogent, intelligent answer. The classic that everyone laughs about to this day is the time we were asked what we were grateful for. Megan had brought a new beau to dinner (in retrospect quite brave of her) and the young man stood (his first mistake—none of the rest of us stood) and said, “I am grateful for Megan and her beauty.” The adults managed straight faces, but the teens couldn’t handle it. To this day, everyone laughs about this.

Today, Sunday dinner is served around the coffee table in my cottage, a far cry from that crowded, formal dining room on Winslow Avenue. But John will always be at my dinner table—and in my heart. We had our differences, particularly political—how he grew up in a staunch FDR/Mayon Richard Daley household and turned out a conservative is beyond me. But we learned, especially in our golden years, to put those aside in favor of our strong bond. We loved to talk, for instance, about the Indiana Dunes where our family had a cottage or Chicago, about which these days I am more nostalgic than he was.

John was sick, mostly bedridden for over a year, and our togetherness, such as it was, was always by phone—he lived south of Granbury on his ranch. We talked every few days, and I always ended the conversation with, “I love you.” It was hard for him, and he’d say, “Back at ya.” So here’s back at you John!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

So very beautiful and poignant. Means a lot to me today because I have been incredibly sad since my son told me that yesterday was his last Highway 20 ride. For the last five or six ride his auto transport business brought him home about twice a month. For the first time in thirty years, he had a room in my house.

As we began to eat on Saturday night, he said, “Mama this my last trip.”

He’s heading home to start a new chapter in his life and I am begging God to please not let this be the last time I see my child.

At 71, everything has a finality to it that you never noticed at 30 or even 40.

He’s been gone for less than 24 hours and I feel as if it has been a lifetime.

As the kids say, 71 hits differently.

Judy Alter said...

Oh, I am so sorry for the change in your life. I remember two such times in my life--when one daughter moved to Aspen (which she could ill afford) and when my oldest son moved to the Cayman Islands. I was weepy for days. I hope this is a forward step for your son, and you can come to see it that way. Perhaps you can visit him? At 71, you have lots of life and many opportunities ahead of you. With a bit of time, I hope you'll move past the grief and see the positives in your life. Above all, treasure those memories. I know, however, just how you feel today, and I am sorry.

Len Leatherwood said...

Oh, Judy, my condolences to you. John sounds like such a wonderful brother, friend, and supporter to you over all these years. I know he'll always be at your Sunday dinner table. That makes me happy for you and for me, too, since I hold you close in our long-distance but sweet connection.

Judy Alter said...

Len, John had many sides to him, and I am working now to reconcile them, but it all comes down to the truth that he was always my protector, even when he was angry with me (which did happen!). Thank you for the connection between us that allowed you to see how important he was in my life, something even I have had to think about. Maybe it's the centrality of family that forged a connection between you and me.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Such a beautiful post, Judy. Your family maintained a wonderful tradition. I'm sorry that you've lost John. But as you said, he'll always be in your heart.

Judy Alter said...

Thanks, Marilyn. I'm grateful for your support.

Anonymous said...

My condolences on the loss of your brother. It is so hard to lose a sibling no matter the age. Someone you expect to be there always until they’re not. I lost my younger brother (3 years younger) suddenly right Thanksgiving more than 22 years ago. He was only 48. I saw him at thanksgiving & he said he felt like he was getting the flu. 3 days later he passed away. Still miss him. Warm hugs to you and your family.
We tried to have a family dinner on Sundays but often didn’t work out. Mostly because of Moms undiagnosed mental illness.

Judy Alter said...

Thank you. I am sorry for your loss too--it's hard no matter what age. And I'm sorry family dinner didn't work for you--perhaps you can establish another tradition.

With thanks for your hugs and conern,
Judy A.

Judy Fleener said...

I am so sorry to read about John's death. When I think about him I think about Fox and Geese in your yard. Nancy is my only living relative and she is in poor health. We are of an age when we experience loss. Bill has just celebrated his 93rdbirthday and has not escaped from some of the ravages of aging. None of this is easy. Hugs for you as you process this loss.

Judy Alter said...

Thanks, Judy. I was tickled when Nancy wrote and said to tell John he was always her first love. It was too late to tell him, but I appreciated the memory. I guess age doesn't skip many of us. I'm sorry to hear that both Bill and Nancy have health problems. And thanks for the hugs--processing is what I am doing. John and I had a close relationship but it was not always peaceful. I always knew, however, that he was my protector. You may remember that from Madison Park.

I enjoy seeing your reading choices on Goodreads.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the loss of your brother. I miss mine often. He also was a good-humored conservative and seven years younger and died so suddenly and so young. Glad you had each other for support during those years of single parenting.

Anonymous said...

Memories are what we have now. Thanks for sharing yours!!!

Judy Alter said...

Thank you Yes, I do have good memories.

serifm said...

What a lovely tribute to John. I am sure you hear the echo of his voice still and feel his arms around you in a loving hug, as I do Len’s.

I send my love.
Sally Jackson

Judy Alter said...

Thanks, Sally. I do still feel his presence. It's a hard time, as you well know.

HOpe you got together with Kathy McDorman okay.

Jeanne Guy said...

Judy, condolences of course, but have to tell you, your essay about John has me in tears right now. Thank you for sharing your life, his life, and your memories about your real life love for one another. "Always in your heart" - what more could we ask for? xox