Sunday, July 29, 2018

Cooking up a storm




Jordan and Christian went to take Jacob to camp in East Texas today, and they stopped for lunch at The Shed in Edom, scene of so many happy family dinners years ago that the mere mention of it sends me into a bout of teary nostalgia. Knowing this, Christian sent this picture with the message, “Wish you were here!” I think the sign is new since I was last at The Shed, probably fifteen years ago. That was the trip when Christian drove us all over that small town looking for his grandmother’s house, only to find that it’s right next door to The Shed.

The Shed is also the inspiration for the café in my Blue Plate Café Mysteries.

Meanwhile, back in Fort Worth, I went to church on Facebook, where I could see and hear the service. Perfectly appropriate, I thought to myself, as I listened to the sermon about food, specifically about Jesus and the loaves and fish. And I’m cooking with weekend. Just a bit of a quantity difference.

Yesterday, I did some menu planning, placed a larger-than-usual order with Central Market, and went gleefully off to pick it up. By myself. In my car.

Friends came by last night for happy hour. A high school classmates of Jordan’s, who has remained like family to us, and his fiancée, with an October wedding in the offing. I should be at the “older generation” shower today but begged off, and they came to pick up my shower gift. We had a good visit—perhaps the highlight was listening to the chickens cackle, which reminded them of laughter. Jordan swears she’ll never again hear that sound without laughing.

It was late for supper when they left, so I fixed myself an easy and quick meal: sautéed some pre-cooked green beans in butter with salt and pepper (I had overcooked them a bit in that pre-boil, but they were still so delicious) and sautéed two small filets of Dover sole in butter with salt, pepper, and lemon. It always amazes me that restaurants charge such high dollar for Dover sole when you can buy it so reasonably in the fish market. My dinner was delicious. Jordan wandered out just as I plated it and said, “Yum.” But there wasn’t enough to share.

I’ve been wanting to try a recipe for creamed spinach, so I made it a lunchtime today. Easy as could be, with a sauce of butter, onion, garlic, cream cheese and milk. And plenty of time to let the spinach cool so I could squeeze it dry. My own touch not called for in the recipe: this was fresh spinach, so after I squeezed it, I made some crosswise cuts in that tight ball of leaves, so it became chopped spinach. So much easier to eat. The recipe called for four bunches of spinach and I, naturally, had only bought one, so I had to make the sauce by guess and by-golly.

Tonight’s menu was seared sirloin strips in white wine, twice-baked potato (bought from Central Market) and the creamed spinach. Since I made the spinach at noon, all I had to do was pop it and the potato in the toaster oven for thirty minutes. As soon as it went off, I browned slices of sirloin, tossed with flour, salt and pepper. When they barely lost their pink, I removed them, sautéed garlic and rosemary, added white wine, and put the meat into warm. After the first couple of bites of steak, I realized a spritz of lemon would be a great addition and got a half lemon out of the fridge. All so good but, as my mom used to say, my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I had to ask myself for a doggie bag—tomorrow’s lunch.

A satisfying day of cooking and reading.

No comments: