Saturday, November 07, 2009

Rejection and the joy of cooking

Tonight, about five on a Saturday, Five Star Press, who has had the mystery that is the first in my projected series, decided to pass on it. Odd time of day and odd day for such a communication. They've had it, as an exclusive, for ten months, once asked for more time, and after a second query assured me that it was at the second tier (what does that mean?) and they'd get back to me in two weeks--that was about ten weeks ago. The rejection came without constructive comment, just "I've decided to pass," which is doubly frustrating. Tonight I don't know if I'm angry or just numb. Will have to decide what to do next but I sure don't have to decide that tonight. Still, I know it's unfair to have kept it that long as an exclusive, and I'll never again give an agent or a publishing house an unlimited exclusive (I'm learning from Sisters in Crime). I think a part of me always thought that getting a yes from them was a pipe dream, but a part of me still thinks the mystery will be published. Got to do some serious research now on publishers.
On the other hand, it was a good day because I spent much of it cooking. Jacob had spent the night, and his mom told me to have him ready at 8:15 because they were going to do a charity walk. Easier said than done, and when she rushed in here, late and impatient, both Jacob and I were taken aback--he fussed, wouldn't wear the pants she wanted, wouldn't wear the race T-shirt because it was too big for him. I kept quiet--no sense talking to that mood. But after they left I ran to the grocery and came home and cooked.
By noon I had made a huge batch of chocolate chip squares (like cookies only you do them in two 9x13 pans) for tree trimming, basil mayonnaise for tomorrow night's dinner, a squash casserole that I had a bit of tonight, and fromage fort--Jacques Pepin's recipe for using up leftover bits of cheese by making a spread, adding garlic, black pepper, and white wine. This evening, Sue came for a quick glass of wine, and then I began packaging the squares for freezing--almost as much trouble as making them. Had squash casserole, sauteed ground sirloin, and asparagus spears for dinner--who could ask for a better dinner? Though my back was tired, I felt sort of self-satisfied. When I cook these days, I find after an hour, I need five minutes in a chair, then I'm back in the kitchen.
My annual tree trimming party which this year is going to be a "Recession/Retirement/Belt Trimming" party--no Brie, no caviar, lots of Mexican dips, etc. Tomorrow I'll make sausage balls and bake them. My freezer is rapidly getting overcrowded.
Tonight I'll read a novel and cogitate on rejection. But I'm not as distressed as I thought I'd be.

No comments: