Sunday, November 22, 2009

Busy day and a pleasant evening

It wasn't the lazy day I imagined. I did linger over the paper--disturbed by the news that the UNT Board (is that Bored?) of Regents voted unanimously to approve an MD school at the UNT Health Sciences Center--oh, wait, that was yesterday. Still disturbed. Then I made myself barely presentable and jumped into the car to buy more apricots to replace those I scorched yesterday. Came home, prepared to soak them in boiling water, and discovered they were dark brown, a yucky scary color. So back to the store tomorrow. I think my prune bread plan is jinxed. But I made some really great pesto, did a lot on decorating the house for Christmas (why am I so obsessed this year? maybe because I'll be gone on Thanksgiving weekend, which is when I usually decorate), planted pansies in my planter boxes (and dug up an amazingly large potato from my sweet potato vines), and pulled out the basil roots. Wow! I felt I'd done a great day's work.
After lunch and reading some, I had a nap. Then I began making finger sandwiches to take to Sue's six-o'clock-happy hour. Only she called about 5:05 and apparently it was at 5, not six. So I rushed, left the kitchen in a mess, the animals unfed, but arrived with my finger sandwiches and bottle of wine. And had a most pleasant evening--her parents, of whom I'm very fond, are here from Canada for the winter--they'll go to Rockport but be here occsionally. Visited with them and neighbors, and it was most enjoyable.
My finger sandwiches used most of the leftover bread in my freezer--a real bonus. Since I've been on Weight Watchers I haven't been eating bread. I made an ersatz pimiento cheese spread--it had smoky Gouda, smoky cheddar, sun-dried tomatoes (the kind in oil, drained and chopped) and paprika. I added a bit of cayenne which was just right.
A nice day.

No comments: