Tuesday, November 03, 2009

A food day

Today was not a writing day. I hit the floor running, for a 9 a.m. staff meeting--got to the office at 8:30 to clean up some odds and ends. Staff meeting lasted until 10:30 so I rushed home to greet an old friend who was to be here at 11 for lunch. We went to Ellerbe's, where I had a chopped salad with grilled chicken. Home to the computer to continue to catch up on things that got by me while I was in Austin and a few details from staff meeting. Then supper of tapas with Betty--fried smelt, bacon wrapped dates, tempura vegetables (too many pepper sticks!), and roasted steak fries. If my most serious goal is writing mysteries, food writing is not far behind. I did send off my January column to Parker County Today--on the soup pot. I swear my mom told me it's a French tradition, but I found nothing about that in researching the topic online. But it's simple--throw all your leftovers together and once a week make them into soup. Well, the column does go into a bit more detail, but that's the basic idea.
Tonight I hope to start rereading the manuscript of my second mystery, but I find it hard. Still waiting for an answer from the publisher who has the first manuscript in the proposed series, so it's hard to think about the second. And I do have some food matters to think about--a couple of magazines to get off my desk and at least one company meal to plan. Plus tomorrow night I am cooking Norwegian hamburgers for Jordan, Christian and Jacob--the recipe is in Cooking My Way through Life though I refuse to believe that Torhild, Colin's Norwegian mother-in-law, was raised to use packets of beef gravy mix in her cooking. Still, they are comfort food, and we all love them. I am absolutely a poor candidate for Weight Watchers--I like to cook and read about food too much!
Food days are, to me, good days--comforting, like some of the food I cook.

No comments: