Sunday, March 01, 2009

Restaurant day

I felt like I was running a restaurant today--something I've always had a hankering to do but I know is terribly impractical. But I cooked two company meals and enjoyed both of them thoroughly.
Friday Sally Armstrong, a friend of almost forty years, emailed that she would be in town and could we have brunch or lunch. Sally moved to New York City some eight years ago, and her visits back to Texas have been few and hectic, so I have seen little of her, though friends that go to New York frequently keep me up with her doings. I suggested she come along for brunch, and I'd cook. So I fixed the soft polenta/corn dish with sausage (buffalo), tomatoes, feta and cilantro that I'd fixed Jordan and Christian a bit before. I tried to cut it in half and got my water/cornmeal proportons a bit off, so my polenta was more hard than soft, but it was still good. We had a good two-hour visit, not one of those where we spent all the time talking about "Remember when . . . ." but discussing where we are now, what's going on in our lives--all good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I told her Gayland Pool and Katie Sherrod were coming to dinner tonight, and she asked to be remembered to them.
So when Katie and Gayland arrived, we talked about Sally and the way she always makes her life turn out just right. I laughed and said, "Sally and I both married the wrong men, stayed with it a long time, and now they're handicapped and disabled and we have such wonderful lives." Katie and Gayland laughed aloud. I fixed an experimental Bolognese spaghetti sauce--it had a cup of milk in it for heaven's sake--and said it would either be bland and boring or terrific. They voted for terrific. And I had a really good antipasto platter for an appetizer--salami and provolone, grape tomatoes, hearts of palm, and gherkins. But the best of all was the visiting--they are delightful people and talk ranged over many topics but was never dull.
And that's my day. I did get in a nap, and tonight the dishes are all done--except one pot that's soaking--and the dishwasher will need to be emptied tomorrow. I can't remember when I ran it twice in two days, but I did this weekend.
I called Jamie tonight to see how his girls were--they've had the flu--and he said he'd be in Fort Worth tomorrow but didn't know if he'd have time to see me or not. I said if he did to come to my house for lunch. I have a refrigerator crowded with leftovers--still a bit of meatloaf, half the polenta/sausage casserole, and spaghetti, plus some of the southwestern tuna that I took to Jordan last night. And I'm not even eating dinner at home tomorrow night. I need help with that refrigerator--it's all so good I can't bear to throw it out. I did have to discard some asparagus this week. It had really gotten beyond rescuing but considering the price of asaparagus these days I hated to do it.

No comments: