Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Good food and bad times

Last night after eating kibbeh at the local Lebanese restaurant (it's seasoned ground beef with pine nuts wrapped in ground lamb and deep fried, served with yogurt cucumber sauce), I was way too full and decided I had eaten way too much red meat in recent days. I can go for long periods on fish and chicken and then, suddenly, my body wants red meat. Today it was different, I suddenly did not want any red meat. Betty and I were going shopping for supplies for a brunch we're giving for a friend who's moving out of town, so after that since we were in that part of town, we had lunch at Neiman's where I gratefully had a half a chicken salad sandwich (theier chicken salad is so good but for some reason they bury a piece of bacon in the middle of the chicken--good but probably not what I'd do) and a small house salad. I came home tonight and froze all those leftovers in my fridge--the heavy spaghetti Bolognese, the corn polenta with buffalo sausage. I ate a small slice of buffalo meatloaf with a big salad and then threw the rest of the meatloaf and bourbon sauce out. Last week, the sauce, then a day old, tasted strongly of bourbon--yummm; tonight the barbecue flavor predominated, and I'm not as fond of that. So tomorrow I think I'll make salmon croquettes.
It's been a day of medical news. Charles' daughter had bypass surgery a week ago today; yesterday they took her back to surgery because they were unable to control the irregular heartbeat, but the surgery didn't fix it. This morning, things looked grim, but tonight they've put in a pacemaker and she is feeling ever so much better. But it's been a worry on my mind for the last few days--I worry for her and for Charles.
Then Christian called about 3 p.m.to say that Joel, the children's father and my ex, was in the hospital with double pneumonia and a urinary infection, and Jordan was too upset to talk so she had him call me. Joel's not that old--younger than me by a year and a half--but he has been in a wheelchair for some time, and I suppose immobility could conribute. I feel confident he'll be all right, but I know it's a scare for his wife and children, mine and the one with the current wife (a daughter I'm quite fond of).
My good news of the day: I rode my stationary bike 4.5 miles in just under twenty-six minutes and got my pulse up to 105 (which is high for someone on beta blockers like I am--so I had a good workout).
Funny news of the day: Morgan (3 years old, Houston grandchild) has a steady beau. I wish I knew how to grab pictures our of emails because I would. They both look so satisfied with themselves, and in one I swear that brazen boy has his arm around my precious granddaughter. Lisa says they're inseperable, and Andy told her they were married. Lisa asked why she wasn't invited to the ceremony.
Lots of work on my desk at the office and some chores at home, so I best get to it.

No comments: