Sunday, February 04, 2018

Munching my way through the weekend


Sixth grad cotillion boys
Trouble times ten
Note the cute kid far left front row


I know I’ve been behind in blogging. Friends from Nebraska even wrote to gently prod me this afternoon. Truth is, though I could come up with several excuses, when I look back at the last two or three days, my memories are of food. I have been eating high on that proverbial hog.

Friday, Megan was here for the day, and we three—my two daughters and I—went early to Central Market to avoid the crowd. The girls insisted on the wheelchair, because with my one eye temporarily out of commission, I have a depth perception problem. They were afraid to let me drive a cart for fear I’d go careening into things. Central Market is always a treat for me, and we came away laden with goodies, including wonderful chocolate bars.

Friday afternoon Megan met some college sorority sisters for lunch, and they all went to visitation for a good friend’s father. When she came home, she wanted to drive around and see the changes. Mostly we drove the TCU neighborhood and campus and discovered a whole host of buildings I didn’t know existed, especially in the Greek area. We also saw the rows and rows of attached condos that line streets once home to modest one-story houses. I know it’s efficient housing in a college area, but it makes me sad to see the whole character of a neighborhood so changed.

Friday night we went to Chadra for supper. I had the buffet, because it had lamb on it. Jordan piled my plate so high, in anticipation of taking some home, that when Nahme, the owner, saw it, he immediately said, “We don’t give take-out boxes anymore.” He visited at length, and we all had lots of laughs. It was good to be out in the world.

Saturday night, Christian grilled steaks for Jordan, two friends of theirs that I am close to, and me. He has a knack of getting my steak just as rare as I like it. Delicious! With mashed potatoes and salad. Stayed up too late being sociable to blog. Today, he sent out the little bit of steak I left on my plate, plus two other pieces. I thought that would be lunch at least today and tomorrow, but I ate the whole thing today.

Tonight I’m cooking carnitas for tacos. Jordan’s friends are coming back for Superbowl, although we’re not big football fans. This recipe is interesting. I’ve done it before when you cook cubed pork butt in water until the water evaporates and the pork crisps. It’s much tastier than it sounds. But I found a recipe that calls for a lot of seasoning, including orange peel and cinnamon sticks, in the water. Only it’s not cooking off as fast as I’d like. Hope we get to eat supper before the game is over.

My eye is healing, though it’s hard to tell progress. I guess that’s another reason I haven’t blogged. But I’ve gotten back to business today and done some editing, and I have a desk full of work to begin the week. I’m gradually putting the surgery behind me and getting on with my life, but I’ll be happier when I can see better and when the eye doesn’t look so awful. Patience is not my strong suit.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

No comments: