Friday, February 09, 2018

A good news day




Today was a good news day on two counts: this morning I finally mastered posting a print copy of my forthcoming mystery, Murder at the Bus Depot, on Amazon through their Create Space program. Well, maybe mastered is a bit of an exaggeration, but I came a lot closer than I did with yesterday’s frustrating attempt. I produced (I think) a book where the pages almost match evenly and fit inside the margins as they should. The cover fits. When I ran the preview, I did not get any intimidating warnings that this, that, or the other was wrong. I learned that I can format a book on Word in 8.5 x 5.5. Who knew? I thought all Word documents were 8.5 x 11. I am obnoxiously proud of myself for this accomplishment. I sent all proof copies to my publicist because she has review requests, so it will be a while before I can see my accomplishment and judge for sure.

Eye doctor this afternoon, and I got a good report, though at first the tech scared me half to death. She seemed surprised that I can’t yet see out of that eye; then she took the pressure and asked, sort of accusingly, if I’d used eye drops today. I assured her I’ve been religious about the eye drops. Then she reported the pressure in that eye was too high. By the time I saw the doctor, I was half convinced I would lose the sight in my right eye and was one of the surgeon’s statistically rare complications.

The doctor was most reassuring. The swelling has gone down, external and internal, by over half; at least half the pooled blood has been absorbed. The pressure is high, not to the point of alarm but requiring a new drop. But it’s because of the blood in the eye. He said everything is healing nicely, and it’s simply a matter of being patient. Patience is not my long suit, but I can do it. So I am relieved and happy tonight.

Cold weather coming to North Texas again this weekend. Time to burrow in and stay cozy. Happy weekend, everyone.

No comments: