Thursday, September 07, 2017

Launch day for Pigface and the Perfect Dog


Launch day for Pigface and the Perfect Dog


There’s something unsettling about launching a new book. It’s both satisfying and anticlimactic. It is, after all, the culmination of all your work for at least a year, often much longer. At last you can present that perfect (well, maybe close) baby to the world, and we all hope to do so with pride. I am indeed proud of Pigface. It’s the first full novel since my hip surgery, although I had written close to half of it before I gave up writing due to pain and confusion, months before the surgery. It was a joy, during recovery, to go back read what I’d written, and think, “Hey! This isn’t half bad.” At that point, the final half seemed to come easily. So this book is special in a way some others of mine aren’t.

But launch day is also anticlimactic. The universe appears unchanged by the big event in my own personal universe. I’ve been sharing the cover, writing advance guest blog posts, doing the things you’re supposed to do to announce your book. So what is different today, except that folks can now go online to order the book? I am not one of those authors who checks sales or author rank or any of that stuff hourly or daily, but I do hope for some sales.

And speaking of online sales, if you live in the Fort Worth area you might want to hold off. There will be a launch party, celebration, signing, whatever you want to call it—on September 21, from 5-7 p.m., at the Wine Haus, 1628 Park Place Avenue. There will be a cash bar, but snacks will be served, and I expect a lot of hilarity. Nope, no giveaways, no cutesy contest, no gimmicks—just come celebrate with me, enjoy a glass of wine, and snack on some great hummus and pita. Mark your calendar, though you can rest assured that I’ll remind you.

Launch day brought out a funny story. A friend has just published a terrific memoir, Travels with Maggie, about her six-month odyssey in a RV with her dog. She knows it’s there, but she can’t find it on Amazon. Several of us suggested she add her name when she searches, and lo! There it was. I remember having that problem with The Gilded Cage, because, alas, there are several books with that title. Not to worry, there is not another book title beginning with the word “Pigface,” though the first few times I searched for it, Amazon offered to sell me a pigface T-shirt. I thought it might be funny to wear to the signing, but it was pretty ugly. I’m still thinking about that. I can always use another T-shirt to sleep in.

So there you have it—the book is out in the world and will now have to pretty much make its own way. I’ve done the best I can, and now it’s time for me to turn to the Blue Plate Café Mystery I’m working on, halfway through. As with Pigface, I put it aside for almost two weeks now, and I’m hoping inspiration will strike when I go back to it.

One small request: if you read Pigface and the Perfect Dog and like it, please leave a review on the Amazon page. Two sentences will do, anything, whatever you want to write. It is an enormous help to me. If you didn’t like it, I can only say I’m sorry. You don’t need to tell Amazon.

2 comments:

Becky Michael said...

Congratulations, Judy! The book looks great.

judyalter said...

Thanks, Becky.