Friday, September 29, 2017

A funny kind of a day




I accomplished absolutely nothing useful today, but strangely enough I feel better and happier tonight than I have in days, even weeks. Woke to rain, yet another dreary day, and while I knew I should be grateful for the moisture, my only thought was that I really wanted a sunny day to help me improve my disposition. It didn’t happen—either the sun or the improvement. A friend cancelled a longstanding date, and Jordan was not pleased when I told her about yet another doctor appointment. She’s glad to take me, usually wants to be there, but when I first tell her it’s like another chore added on to the many she already has. And there have been too many appointments lately. And where I thought we would have lunch together, I found she had other arrangements—as well she should. She can’t babysit her mom all the time, when I don’t need it except for sociability reasons.

We had joint appointments for facials at Origins, the store where I’ve bought make-up and skin products for at least a decade, probably longer. The ladies who did them were cheerful and fun, and my mood brightened a bit, though I was baffled by the products used on my face. I think maybe I’ve had one facial in my whole life before. Truth is that when Alicia finished, my face did feel better, fresher. But the mood didn’t last, and I was on the edge of tears on the way home.

But the day began to turn around. Black bean soup for lunch tasted really good. I took care of a few details on my desk and then two a solid two-hour nap. Woke feeling like a new person. Not a mysterious turn-around. I had contacted my doctor to report feeling lethargic with no interest in food and a slight feeling of nausea. As I suspected, he suggested I needed to cut back on one medication, and I think the change kicked in today.

Jordan and I have shared a couple of experimental meals since Christian has had other obligations. We do that to try the things we know he wouldn’t like. Last night’s meal was a bust, maybe partly due to my own ambivalence about food, but I’m delighted to report that tonight’s meal was a success, and I loved every bite.

I fixed scallops in a lemon/basic sauce. Got the scallops just right, with a nice brown on the outside and still tender on the inside. The sauce was butter, white wine, lemon peel and lemon juice, and chopped basil, thickened with cornstarch in a tiny bit of water. I sliced a couple of mushroom that needed to be used and threw them into the mix. Jordan made a salad of leftover canned artichoke hearts, diced Roma tomatoes, avocado, and blue cheese, with lemon juice instead of dressing. You’d have eaten every bite too.  Those recipes are keepers, though the salad, I confess, is an off-the-top-of-my-head one remembered from a salad served me probably fifty years ago at a ranch in the Texas Panhandle—watercress and tomato in lemon juice. I just added blue cheese and avocado.

I have scenes in my mind for the novel I’m working on, and they will be my priority tomorrow. In the last week, I accomplished only 1500 words, but now things are looking up.

I’m a happy (happier?) camper tonight. I feel like I’ve come back from someplace far away.


















3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is good to hear that things perked up for you yesterday. I think your black mood shifted down here, however. It's been a few days since I last worked on THE YELLOW BADGE and although I know I need to write every day, I also know that if I write in this dark mood everything I write will not have any subjectivity to it. I know the old adage about writing anyway to get the cobwebs or whatever out of your mind but I deplore not having at least an attempt at productivity when I do. I'm feeling crabby and sorry for myself and want to do little else but read. My mood brightened somewhat Thursday when I bought a new car---Ford Edge Titanium, the top Ford model loaded with everything. So much, in fact, that I'm certain I can launch a rocket from Cape Kennedy. None of this is helped by the fact that my hips hurt so much I can barely walk. Ugh.

judyalter said...

Sorry about your black mood. Not feeling good puts me in that mood and, like you I just want to read. Then my conscience bothers me--that old Puritan work ethic. Hope your mood lifts--sun is supposed to shine today and that should help. Congrats on the new car--I am now officially jealous of your mobility.

Unknown said...

Ah, Judy! You're good for the heart. And I really like this new car as I can get around far easier than having to muscle that old pickup into parking places, gee-hawing back and forth until I finally have most of it in. It was just too big for me to drive anymore. Might add that the new car is the most comfortable one I've ever had, too. Shoot, it's so darn comfortable that all I need is a pillow to take a nap in.